Woodnet Forums
My first bowl - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: My first bowl (/showthread.php?tid=7321914)

My first bowl - Alaric - 08-20-2016

My first bowl.

I have no idea if I did it right, and it is nothing fancy, but I'm pleased with the results.

Maple.  I used a bowl screw to turn a 1/4" tenon on the blank and then rough out the outside.  Then I chucked it and hollowed it out.  Let it sit to warp, Then put put it off. Put it off some more. Finally. After I got it finished I wasn't sure how to hold the bowl to remove the chuck tenon.  Finally I folded up a rag and put it in the bowl for padding and pressed it against the chuck with the tailstock.  It took me a while to recenter it, but after that it seemed to work OK as long as I took really light cuts.  I made the bottom just slightly concave to it would sit on the outside edge instead of wobbling.  I finished it with some beeswax, so it smells really great.

[Image: First%20Bowl_zps7iwn05ds.jpg]

RE: My first bowl - Steve K - 08-20-2016

Not the best picture but the bowl looks great from what I can see. Nice transition from side to bottom and no tearout. Good job!

RE: My first bowl - Alaric - 08-20-2016

Initially I did have some tearout.   I thought it would sand out.  Nope.  Then I decided my bowl was still too thick, so I sharpened my tools and thinned it out some more and took really light cuts the last little bit.  It seemed to work.

RE: My first bowl - iclark - 08-21-2016

Very nice. MUCH better than my first bowl.

I look forward to seeing more.

RE: My first bowl - chips ahoy - 08-21-2016

I like the grain in it, nice job. Now make another.

Mel

RE: My first bowl - Arlin Eastman - 08-21-2016

You did a wonderful job and can be proud of it!!!

RE: My first bowl - AHill - 08-21-2016

Great first attempt.  Sign and date the bottom.  A couple of years from now, you'll be amazed at the difference.  Yet, you'll still be proud of your first bowl.

RE: My first bowl - Angus - 08-24-2016

U use a compression chuck for turning the bottoms of bowls
[Image: IMG_1354.jpg]