Woodnet Forums
Finish on a wooden pine floor - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Finish on a wooden pine floor (/showthread.php?tid=7322749)

Finish on a wooden pine floor - Arlin Eastman - 09-14-2016

My mother in law first had it painted a light blue and now 24 years later my wife painted it a med gray enamel.  What semi gloss clear can go over it to make it harder and easier to keep clean?

Arlin

RE: Finish on a wooden pine floor - Kansas City Fireslayer - 09-14-2016

Arlin,

First and foremost, I would only use a waterbased poly product. You will have to work a bit quicker to keep a wet edge but it won't stink, take days to dry, and personally I think I will look better.

There are many waterbased poly products on the market but you will most likely have to mail order some of the better ones. I used Lobadur two part WB poly and it's an extremely durable finish as it should be coming in at $100 a gallon. Bona also specializes in wood floor coatings and they have poly that you should be able to purchase at $60 a gallon or close to. You will get what you pay for with a WB floor finish. You may have Minwax WB poly local but I would suspect it's solids content is lower than the other products I mentioned. You may also consider putting a floor "sanding sealer" or general sealer down first. Making sure the floor is clean and ready for a poly top coat will be important for the best adhesion.

I would only consider two ways of applying it. Either a T-bar floor finish applicator or a "pad" applicator in the 6-9" range. It will need to be applied quickly while maintaining a wet edge and putting a relatively thick coat down at the same time. Flooring pros actually pour a line of finish on the floor and squeegee or push and pull the puddle of finish back and forth. They don't manipulate it anymore than than needed.

I have used the T-bar applicator and there is a bit of a learning curve or your puddle of finish can get away from you a bit. I would probably try a T-pad applicator if your rooms aren't ginormous. I'd also test your finish for good adhesion in corner before committing or you could have mess later on. Hopefully a flooring guy will chime in.

RE: Finish on a wooden pine floor - Rob Young - 09-14-2016

Minwax (Sherwin Williams) Ultimate Floor Finish -- waterborne & % solids 29.0-33.0
technical data sheet -- http://pdf.archiexpo.com/pdf/sherwin-williams/minwax-ultimate-floor-finish/56579-271791.html

Can't find anything searching for "Lodabur" except weird stuff that is absolutely NOT polyurethanes...

Bona has a wide range, picked the first one "Bona Traffic HD" -- waterborne & % solids 34% with use of hardener
https://www.bona.com/Global/Countries/United%20States/Spec%20Sheets/2012%20Specs/Bona%20Traffic%20HD.pdf

The Mega product line looks like it was intended for residential use and lists 32.5% solids, no hardener.

Bona looks like pretty good stuff and relatively inexpensive.

RE: Finish on a wooden pine floor - Arlin Eastman - 09-14-2016

OK guys I am confused.  If you have links to everything I need to get for my wife I would GREATLY appreciate it.

I did hear that water based poly drys clear and stays clear so I will go with that but I also need to know the proper sealer to go with it to please.

Much thanks

RE: Finish on a wooden pine floor - Kansas City Fireslayer - 09-15-2016

http://www.loba.de/en/products/waterborne-finishes/2-component-waterborne-finishes/product/2k-supra-at.html

Here's what I used.  Lobadur or Loba Supra and I added the UV inhibitor.  Rob, I think you got the "b" and "d" mixed up.  
I had to purchase this through a speciality hardwood flooring supplier, Mastercrafts.  They don't do walk in sales so you have to have an account there or know someone who does.  It's an excellent finish despite costing $100 a gallon.  I'm very happy with it.  

Arlin,

Finding the Loba near you may be difficult.  The Bona street shoe would make an excellent choice as well.  I believe Menard's or Lowe's may be able to order it to their store for pick up.

RE: Finish on a wooden pine floor - Arlin Eastman - 09-18-2016

Thank you very much for the links guys