Project Planning and Process
Make a decision. Move forward. If it is the right decision, it's done. If it is the wrong decision, you will find out pretty quickly. Then make another decision and go a different direction.

Spare lumber and excess rails/stiles/blanks are your friend.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
Thanks for the acknowledgement Chuck.
What I didn't mention is that by the time you cut your first stick of wood, you have built the cabinets three times. All in your head, they are done. The only thing that you do at the bench is execute.
The selection of the "how"; that process of marking up the first drawing is step one. At that point you're making choices about how everything is going to be. If you choose well, everything will be as easy as it can be. Poor choices here will be of great magnitude. This first step is a mental construction of the suite. When you layout the rod, again you make choices. You begin to identify and get aquainted with each piece, each subassembly. You begin to get a good idea of who (which piece for example) is going to be your problem child.
Developing the cutlist once again is a mental process of building the suite in your mind.
Few will listen, I know. I've been beating this drum for years. My time as a shop foreman allowed me to put into practice ideas I had in my mind for years before that. It worked. We cranked out product. Everybody on the job knew exactly what we were building and how we intended to get there. I can't agree with people who state that they have freedom or any of the other language I've heard applied as a counter argument. I'm also serious about stating that hobbyists can enjoy cabinetmaking this way too. I'm not taking away the fun, though people often think I am. Try it. Plan the job in detail before you even cut the first stick. I know you'll like it even if you don't think you will. You will.
Great advice; I would only add 1 thought for the OP: clean as you go.
Working in a clean environment is easier than one that isn't.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
The first time you build something it will take much longer than if you built the same thing several times. If you are designing and building something at the same time it will take about four times longer than building something already designed.
As Gary mentioned, when you get stuck, clean the shop and get reorganized. I have to put everything back where it belongs and clear my bench between every major operation. It's the only way I can think straight.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Paul K. Murphy said:

What I didn't mention is that by the time you cut your first stick of wood, you have built the cabinets three times. All in your head, they are done. The only thing that you do at the bench is execute.

Planning while away from the shop allows me to think about woodworking and spend time around my wife.

I don't know why but she gets a surprising amount of joy spending time around me.
Bump
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
In my recent post, "Nostalgic look at paneling job" once again I got on my soapbox.
I have strongly held views about planning and layout. My time as a shop foreman stamped it in my mind forever. I had to keep eight guys busy and productive. I've seen what works, and what does not.
I've needed 18 months to finish projects. A sideboard for the kitchen I made many years ago that is basically one big box (the carcass ) and two smaller boxes (drawers) took 14 months. work, family, and sometimes triple checking cuts equals weeks long intervals between shop time

Often now I'll write down the next three or four steps and leave it on the bench, especially if I know o won't be back for several days. Especially important if I'm leaving in the middle of a process and want to avoid gluing a drawer together overlooking I haven't cut drawer bottom grooves yet.

If a project needs a jig built I build them before I start the project. Bringing everything to a halt and focusing on an e timely new project (the jig) in the middle of another was a huge distraction. The jig would be slapped together

Plans always help, even crude ones. And cut lists.

Mike
I don't know your experience level or if you are a hobbyist.

As a hobbyist and about 40 years experience I go through first thinking about what I want to build. I draw out plans; don't use a computer for that. Then I spend time working through the process in my head. I build the whole thing in my head. Every cut, every hole, etc. Then I work through the glue ups - same thing. I work it through in my head.

Since I can work it though I rarely make mistakes now; still do; but not many.

I'm assuming others can see the project in their heads. I also think about stopping points - this is important if you don't have time to build the whole thing at one time.

For me it's the pre-process - the plan and thinking through the process - helps me through the project.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Paul Murphy: thanks for your recent reviews and thoughts, but what do you mean by "rods"?