A Project for May?
Late start, this morning...was just after 0900....Fetch & Carry two Pine planks to the shop..each was 3/4" x 4" x 8'..

Brought them down 2 at a time...Had to "walk" them down the steps, as I have to duck down for the last couple steps..and I am 5'10-1/2" tall...ceiling in the shop is just over 7' tall..

BEFORE I could start cutting those 2 down to size...tablesaw was still set up for raised panels, NOT cross cutting...

Needed to return the blade to 90 degrees..

needed 16 blanks for the drawer sides...at ~18" long...and work around a few knots, too..until..

This is all I got out of the first 2 planks...along with..

"Shorties"   , too short to use with this project, save for another Project? 

Trudge back upstairs grab the other 2 planks, walk them to the shop...results?

Lucky for the last 2..

When I ripped these 2 down to match Drawer #8...most of the edge knots went along, too

Sweep the floor, again..called it a morning.   I do not have any Pine left over, to make the 8 drawer backs...have to go and buy 3 more 6' planks of 1 x 4...pine.

IF I get really bored tonight, watching a Thunderstorm roll through, I might reset the tablesaw.   The drawer fronts need a groove to house the plywood drawer bottoms in..and there is no safe, secure way to hold them to the bench, while I use a Stanley 45..

Stay tuned...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Have a LOT of dovetail sockets to mill..and I am not doing them by hand tool..so..

It ain't much..an old B&D clone of an all metal DeWalt No. 610...that need 2 wrenches to change a bit.   Sitting( hanging?) in a SKIL Router table..using the shop made fence I also use on the tablesaw...Shop made stand for it to sit on...tends to make a big mess on the floor

Laid out a new "Start & STOP" line on the fence..

Test run showed I needed to move the stop line a bit further..

Varying the width of the sockets,, as some people LIKE skinny pins...

Takes a while...just over an hour this morning...as I had to reset the fence for each location(s)...and allow for Drawer #8 being a lot skinny than the top 7 drawers..
But..

They are all awaiting the sides of the drawers...have to do the tails...may involve a bandsaw and a chisel or three? 

Bought wooden knobs..

Had to buy 2 packs, as I'll need 16 knobs.  Trying to decide whether stain then a dark walnut, or Witch's Brew like the rest of the chest?

ran out of 1 x4s while getting the drawer sides all milled..had to go back to Lowes, and buy 3 more 1 x 4 x 6' planks...to make the 8 drawer backs...about ~22" long.

Stay tuned...being making tails, next time..
And now a question for you all..

Do I mill the tails first on the drawer sides...
or..

Do I clamp the sides to the bench top, reset the Stanley #45 to mill a 1/4" x 1/4" groove to house the plywood panel for the drawer's bottom?

May try both ways, in the morning...unless I get VERY, VERY Bored this evening..

First, I need to change cutters in the #45...
Well, late last night...I did go and set up the Stanley #45 plane..and even gave it a test run, or five...
Right now, I am heading back to the shop..have 19 more grooves to do....THEN I'll see about do the Tails

Film @ 2300 hrs...
90 minutes IN the shop, this morning...was a bit busy?

Yeah...you could say that...and this was just from doing 15 drawer sides, to go with the first one..

All now have their grooves done..and I labeled each to show which drawer they will be in  (  #3 L or #3R)

Changed the jig a bit...

To better mill the remaining 4 drawer fronts...add a thin strip under the beveled edge...

Then cleaned the shop a bit ...put away planes that were not getting used..including..

This Stanley No. 45, Type 20....since I am done doing the Groove Thing..

It can go back up onto it's shelf....I do have a second Stanley No. 45, set up to do dados...but, that will be later..

Right now?   I need to get things set up to cut dovetail "Tails"...and fit them to the drawer fronts...16 corners...might take a while?  Then I can cut the drawer sides to final length, and THEN do a dado to house the drawer's back..

Got plenty to do, IF anyone wants to stop by and help out...
BTW...a Stanley No. 45 IS considered a Hand Tool, correct?...

Seems to be an easy way to do Grooves and Dados?   And Rebates, and Beads?  Has anyone tried the Sash cutter, besides me?

Seems to be an easy enough tool to use...I hear tell that they even came with Instructions.....

BTW 2:   started working on these, tonight..

Have 3 corners completed..only 13 more to go...

Stay tuned...
(05-24-2024, 12:38 PM)bandit571 Wrote: ...

This Stanley No. 45, Type 20....since I am done doing the Groove Thing..

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/attachment.php?aid=51260

Hmmm ...

Seems I saw that box get born ...

Good for you, Bandit.  And better for us, that you're sharing.
Heading down to the shop...anyone want to stop by and help out? 

Have 5 more drawer fronts to join to their sides....then see about adding dado to house the backs of the drawers...

Start time is 0800hrs, Zulu.....end time?
0800 start time..

2 hours later...

All drawer sides have been joined to their Drawer fronts..and

Made up a jig to use the Stanley #45, Type4 as a dado plane...top drawer now has both of it's dados done..

Test fit?

2 done, only 14 more to do..

other than a cordless drill to build the dado jig..this was the only power tool in use, this morning..

I did use a Mitersaw to trim the drawer sides to final length...

Seemed to cut square enough..

And, it was very busy, this morning..

My Cardio Workout for the day?

Pencil sharpener was hung up and used...

and...a Mr. Jackson stopped by...to help with the dados..

His job was to make kerf cuts, where the dado plane enters and exits, to prevent any blow outs..

Need to set up a Box Fan in the shop...75 sunny degrees outside..not a whole lot better IN the shop...2 hours was just about enough for this "Old Goat".
Stay tuned..
A jig to plane dados..

With a Stanley No. 45, Type 4...
[attachment=51282]
It did have a bit of help, though..

A Mr. Jackson..making kerf cuts, where the plane will be entering and leave...to prevent any blowouts..

Tested for fit...
Top drawer has both of it's dados done..will be working my way down to #8...

One last detail..

I add a "starter Bevel" on the back end of drawers...eases the drawer's entrance into the case...helps when they are full, BTW..

2 hours IN the shop...might wait until the shop cools way down, before I start again, today..

Attached Files Image(s)