A Project for May?
(05-25-2024, 02:48 PM)bandit571 Wrote: A jig to plane dados..

With a Stanley No. 45, Type 4...

It did have a bit of help, though..

A Mr. Jackson..making kerf cuts, where the plane will be entering and leave...to prevent any blowouts..

Tested for fit...
Top drawer has both of it's dados done..will be working my way down to #8...

One last detail..

I add a "starter Bevel" on the back end of drawers...eases the drawer's entrance into the case...helps when they are full, BTW..

2 hours IN the shop...might wait until the shop cools way down, before I start again, today..
I like that hold down you made...Very clever!!
Winkgrin
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

2 more dados were done, last night..

Reason for the late night trip to the shop....was to take one package of knobs to the shop, and, one pine 1x4x6' plank..as I wanted to cut a back for one drawer..

There was a "problem" though..

No access to the tablesaw, right now, so..

Mitersaw, Cordless type...then checked for height..allowing for the 1/4" plywood to pass under the back..

Hmm, needed to loose a bit of the edge..

And, again, no tablesaw available...we have ways..

Follow up with a jack plane to clean up..

That knot made things ...interesting

Managed to get Dados #3 and #4 for Drawer #2..and a second drawer back done...

was getting rather late, and I was getting crampy....figured there is always tomorrow

Stay tuned..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Have used that "style" of hold down before..

usually whatever scraps sitting around..can be adjusted to whatever width of drawer side is needed. 

And, that is all there is to this hold down...the 2 bottom pieces are kept tight to the sides of the board (had to drive a couple sides in will a block & Mallet) then the top 2 kept the part from hopping back out of the jig..

When done with making dados, I keep the screws, and toss the parts.  usually, the next dado project would need a different set of parts...
(05-26-2024, 09:28 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Have used that "style" of hold down before..

usually whatever scraps sitting around..can be adjusted to whatever width of drawer side is needed. 

And, that is all there is to this hold down...the 2 bottom pieces are kept tight to the sides of the board (had to drive a couple sides in will a block & Mallet) then the top 2 kept the part from hopping back out of the jig..

When done with making dados, I keep the screws, and toss the parts.  usually, the next dado project would need a different set of parts...
I could see a market for one...and it could be made to accept a variety of width boards, with maybe a "cam lock" to hold the boards in position.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Quick trip to the shop, this morning...Hauled a 1/4" x 24" x 48" plywood panel to the shop...dragged the tablesaw out and made a few cuts.

I also sharpened the cutter in the Stanley #45...and got 2 more dados done, for Drawer #3

Plywood panels are for the bottoms of drawer #1. and drawer #2....
Drawer #1 is still in the clamps, due to a loose set of tails getting glued up, but..

Drawer #2 is done..assembly-wise..

And Drawer #3 is awaiting it's plywood bottom...

Need to haul another panel or two to the shop...first, I'll need that tablesaw back..right now, Drawer #1 is sitting on it...
Stay tuned..
Working on it..

Half way done on Drawer Building 101...have 2 more ready to assemble...then get the last 2 ready...

Stay tuned..
Drawer Building 101, Assembly time..start here..

Helps when things are all pre-drilled..

Attach the sides to the front, with just glue..

Then slide the drawer bottom into place..no glue..

Then glue and screw the back to the sides..

There is also a bead of glue between the back and the bottom...need a big square, next..

Making sure the drawer is square..a little "toe-in" at the back is ok....but NOT "toe-out" 
Then a few screws to "fix" the bottom to the back..

Holes for the front knobs were predrilled as well,,at 5" from the edge, and centered..

Spot of glue between the knob and the drawer front...Mind the grain direction...
Then take the completed drawer over to the case..

Only 3 more to go...

Stay tuned..
Seeings how this IS a hand tool thread...

This is the sight that "greeted" me this morning....amongst others...

Need to square this up, and flatten it out..looking for which ever "face" looks the best...then..

Add bread board ends...

Because..

All 8 drawers are now done...other than get ready for a finish..( sand and scrape)

Stay tuned..
Tasks for Tuesday Afternoon...needed to remove a few clamps...mark a few lines..

one line is where the saw will be cutting, for a square edge...the other line?

Is for a fence to guide a saw

And Vintage saw at that...router bit is new...will be in use tomorrow..I think..

Both ends are now squared up...get a start on flattening...

Beltsander , for now...later?

Stanley No. 8c....as some claim this is to be used to flatten a panel?  i figure the weight of it alone would do that..

Worked on bread board ends..cut to length over on the No. 72c  Mitre box...then joint an edge..

With an old Jack Plane..

Then this little guy took it from there..

Union No. 41...

Ploughing a groove...seems to work just fine. 

About that router bit?

Will be making 4 passes..to cut 2 tongues...1 on each end of the panel....as I don't think the No. 41 works all that well on end grain...

Stay tuned..
Two tasks for this morning..1) get the bread board ends installed...
Needed to use this tool..

to mill a tongue on each end of the Top..checked for fit (2nd try..)

Then clamps and glue..same way I always do BB ends...

Let this sit for a day or 2...

Task 2)..was to form slots to attach the top to the case..

Cordless drill to drill a hole through the corner braces...one per brace...then rock the drill "Fore & Aft" to create a slot.

A screw with a washer comes through the slot and into the underside of the Top ( and NOT poke through..) and yet allow the Top to move as it sees fit.

All that was left to do, this morning (legs are still causing problems) is to clean up the mess left by the router..

Yeah...it do make a mess...of the floor AND me..
Stay tuned..