A Project for May?
Afraid the next few days, things are going to be rather dusty, in the shop...Will post more once all the dust has settled, and been swept up..

Maybe by either this coming Friday or Saturday..will need help lifting the empty case up onto the bench..where the Top will be laying good face down...I drive 4 screws, they I have to set it back down on the floor, on it's own 4 feet. 

Stay tuned..sure to be some cussing involved...
Uhoh
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Ok, too sore, and too bloody tired, today...will take the day off to get healed back up to Standard...

Hope nobody minds, will try again, tomorrow, eh?

Issues with pulled parts in me legs...stairs are not going very well...hell when one gets old, ain't it?  

Sitting around today, and taking a rest...letting things heal...
Take it easy for a bit. No harm in that.

You deserve it.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Ok..this MIGHT be a 2 parter...had to fix a gap..

Which you can see between Drawer #2 and the divider above it..so..first thing.

While the glued dried..each drawer front was sanded down to 180 grit..removing any and all saw marks and burnt spots..worked my way through all 8 drawer fronts..once with the 80 grit, and then with the 180 grit...was finally all done..

And they can sit there for a while...NEXT!

This thing...needed both faces smooth and flat...and the corners cut round... fresh 80 grit belt per face...needed 2 clamps to hold things still..

Warning PSA:  Them clamps DO BITE,  Fresh DNA!   Project is now "Official"!

beltsander, then the Random Orbit sander until I got down to 220 grit...then gave this a bit of work..

Stanley #80...corners were beltsanded round..using a small paint spray can as a pattern...

Cleared off a spot on the bench..

Show Face down...back edge of the Top is to the rear of the bench...

Stay tuned for Part 2..
Part 2...Need to stack up all 8 drawers somewhere out of the way...tablesaw's top is cleaned off...so..

Which left this sitting there..facing the wrong way...

Had to flip the case over and right up onto the Top..

Did a few stretches and such...take a deep breath..."ah wun, and ah two"...HEAVE!

Whew...

Plenty of room!  next, get it centered on the Top...

About an 1-1/4" or so overhang on each end..checked with a combo square and a mallet for adjustments..

Case sits flush with the back edge of the Top..leaves this small overhang out in front...

Then the real fun begins....I use 4  screws 2" long, each with a 1/4" washer, to keep the screw's head from sinking into the wood braces..to get theminto the slots in those braces, I have to somehow snake my fat forearms through the drawer opening, one hand holds and guides the screw, the other holds and uses a cordless drill to drive each screw..until the drill's clutch clicks..

Slots and the washers will allow wood to move a bit, if need be.  repeat for each corner..

While the case was up where I could look things over better...I sanded smooth any other defects in the front of the case..

IF I am out and about, today..I need to pick up some brushes to apply a coat of Witch's Brew stain, later...

Stay tuned...was a BUSY morning...Busy, Busy, BUSY..( Terry Thomas?)
This is looking very good, Steven. Construction, style. It may be one of your best pieces.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
And I thank you for looking in.
Ok, this morning, 3 cans of stain were opened....and a "shot" of Gunstock Stain was blended into the Infamous Witch's Brew Stain...the 3rd can?  was a can of "Dark Walnut"..

Left the case sitting on the bench..more room for my fat body...and...stained the first side of the case, and the front of the case...Had to enlist the use of the Shop's Step Ladder, to see where I was staining around the top( Bottom)...then spin the case around, and do side #2..

Which you can see here..and that step ladder...

next...a rag in each hand, and a deep breath..flip the case over onto the floor, onto it's own 4 feet...had a job for the router to do, before I can stain the top of the case..

I only needed the Cove section of that bit..

Then stain the top, and any other spots I missed.

Drawers:   First was a bit of the Dark Walnut Stain on just the knobs...wipe them down a bit..then the entire drawer front was given a coat of the "Brew", including those knobs..and then wiped down...goal was to make the knobs look "Old & Well Worn"....
As each drawer was done. it was slid into it's spot in the case..until..

last drawer in was the top one....will be letting this sit a day or 2...before the top coats go on..

As for the rag doing all that "wiping down"? 

"Shhhh! It is stretched out, and taking a nap"  

I guess this might qualify as a PIP? 

Stay tuned...
Cleared a work space...meanwhile..

needed to get the drawer fronts varnished up..

To make things easier...I removed the drawers..got them done...moved the case a bit..

Laid the case over onto a "Prop"...first one side was done..then the other....then lay it with it's back on the Prop...do the front edges..then stand it up..

And do the top of the case.  

Can of Varnish used?

Label says it is "Warm Gloss"   Be sure to use the proper opener..

And add a few drain holes around the rim..

That way, the lid will seal nice and tight.

Letting this dry for a while...then a rub down, and see IF it will need a second coat..
Stay tuned..
Looking great, Bandit. Will you finish the drawer sides/back/bottom?