Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Sketchup Guru
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently installed Sketchup free version for windows.
I know it is suppose to be easy but I am not having any luck . I just want to design simple stuff like router table, workbench. I am stuck on basics skills.

Is there anyone who can help me on the basics ? I have webex installed so we can do remote training session.
Jack, check out this link . It gives you some basics and a couple of projects to walk you through to get started.
You need help. Learning SketchUp is darned right difficult w/o it, but not hard at all with it. I recommend Dave Richard's DVD, or Tim Killen's book. I used Killen's book and I learned how to use the basics in 4 to 6 hours, enough that I could generate a complete model of a basic piece of furniture on my own.

Dave Richards is a member here (DaveR1), and very helpful and generous with his time in helping people learn SketchUp, answer their questions, problem solve, etc.

Good luck.

John
jteneyck said:

Dave Richards is a member here (DaveR1), and very helpful and generous with his time in helping people learn SketchUp, answer their questions, problem solve, etc.

Good luck.

John

I knew Dave was genius level with Sketchup, but didn't know he was a published author about it. Place never ceases to amaze me
Jack, I sent you a PM.

And John, thank you. Steve, you too.
DaveR1 said:

Jack, I sent you a PM.

And John, thank you. Steve, you too.

See, just amazing

Dave, the thanks go to you, for your helping people as you do.
I appreciate Dave’s help on this. He scheduled a WebEx on Saturday morning and showed me how to enter the measurements.

Now I am drawing some simple projects in Sketchup.

Two weeks ago I purchased Sketchup for Woodworker by Dave Richards, which is very informative and every woodworker should get it. It let you get started in Sketchup and shows lot of tricks.

I never thought that I will be talking to the author of this DVD for some simple issue I had with Sketchup.

Again Dave , thank you for all your time.
Jack01 said:

I appreciate Dave’s help on this. He scheduled a WebEx on Saturday morning and showed me how to enter the measurements.

Now I am drawing some simple projects in Sketchup.

Two weeks ago I purchased Sketchup for Woodworker by Dave Richards, which is very informative and every woodworker should get it. It let you get started in Sketchup and shows lot of tricks.

I never thought that I will be talking to the author of this DVD for some simple issue I had with Sketchup.

Again Dave , thank you for all your time.

Dave's the bestest.
Jack, it was a pleasure. I'm glad I was able to help, too.

Kompera, thank you.
Jack,

I learned how to use Sketchup from an earlier version of Bonnie Roskes' Sketchup 8 Hands on Exercises . I highly recommend it, and the company is great to deal with. You can buy a downloadable pdf from 3DVinci at the 3DVinci web page

Many details of using Sketchup are a bit more subtle than with other drawing programs (for want of a better word), so be patient with yourself. IMO it is well worth the trouble to learn.

Best of luck

Doug