Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Okay, enough talk, gonna build a bench
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My wife said "quit buying tools and stalking woodworking sites and make something."
She's got a point. So this is my progress so far. I decided on a split roubo bench. I'm going more or less for this guy's design.
Dema's workbench

Got 4 2x6's laminated so far. I have tons of mahogany scrap from some mill that went out of business a couple years back. I want the 1st set of dog holes to be square. I sandwiched these pieces, but forgot about the lip that the dog hole must rest on when inserted. So here I'm gluing 1/4 strips . Those beer bottles were just the ticket to wedge them in while drying.
I can't wait to have a real bench.
Learning a lot in the process. That old transitional jointer plane helped flatten out some cupping and twist. I love the primus smoother with the movable shoe.

Looking good!

Next thing you know, your wife will expect you to make some furniture at that bench, too.
You'll be glad that you built it. I agree that requests will come, but I'm sure those will be fun too. Having a bench that you like working on makes things a lot easier.