Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Auction pity bid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My wife bought this last year with a $3 pity bid. This is after an initial cleaning with alcohol.

It is a Wilhem Furniture Company 5045 dated 1/22. I thought it was interesting in that I had not seen a gate legged table that could take leaves. Note, they are missing. As well as some bracing spindles and a foot. Although I didn't own a lath, we got the parts made, then Christmas came and I have one now.

Purchased some black walnut, and leaf pins. Got to work with 3,4,5,and 8 planes. A track saw to even the edges. Stained with Minwax Dark Walnut stain, four coats of Zinser's Shellac cut in half, then steel wool and Howard's bees wax/orange oil.

The surface isn't perfect, because I failed to ensure grain ran uniformly amongst the leaves. Also the old table had reversing grain. But what the heck its going to my daughters Antique booth for a new home.

The intent of the project was to learn a few things, particularly finishing and hand tool use. I was really concerned with the sap wood on the top and the new walnut for the leaves. But I guess the dark walnut minwax worked out OK. Momma is pretty pleased with the way it turned out, and to tell the truth so am I; so I thought I'd share.
Very nice job, took a bit of work but it was worth it.
That's outstanding; an amazing transformation. Truly a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

John
A really nice old gateleg. You did it proud
Yep, nice job, indeed!

Nice save!

Great save! I can relate. Many years ago, my wife stoppped at a roadside display of carnival glass a woman was selling in the Kentucky hinterlands. The woman was anxious to show here glassware, but my wife was interested in the table the glass was displayed on. After a brief negotiation, the woman unloaded the table and sold it to my wife for $6.00. It was pretty rough with lots of stains, like yours, and a burned place where someone had set a very hot pot on it. I cleaned it up some and put a little finish on it and it has been our breakfast room table for over 40 years. New visitors always comment on it.

Hank
Another great save, Hank. $6 forty years ago was worth a bit more than today, but it was still a heck of a deal, and it sure looks great in that spot. Your wife must have had a good sized vehicle to get that table home, or did she come home looking like the Beverly Hillbillies with the table strapped on top of the car?

John
$3? I'll make you a deal and give you double for it.

Great job!
Hank,

Nice job and great deal on a working member of your furniture family!

Cian,
You must be cut from the same cloth as the rest of us pity dealers.