Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Inexpensive turners smock alternative!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been doing a bunch of turning the last few months and I've kept thinking I really need to get a turners smock. But every time I looked for one they all seem to be around $50+. Then today I realized I'm an person, and I already own one. ACU jackets are practically the same thing, and make a great top to throw over whatever you are wearing for turning! Lightweight, a high Velcro collar, and even a cool little pocket for pencils and rulers! Best of all you can find them used on eBay for around $5-$10!!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=acu...p;_sacat=104023

From a camo point of view most people that like camo think it sucks at hiding anything. So there is no secondary market for them. Consequently they go for practically nothing. A few years ago I bought a couple pairs of pants for like $25 to do yardwork and gardening in and they came with the matching tops. The tops have come in far more handy than I ever though they would. You can get them in black, tan, navy etc... if camo isn't your thing but you are back up into the $40-$50 range for those since they aren't military issue.
Nice idea Nik. Of course we are now all going to be bidding against each other for these.

Doug
Oh wow, I grew up in Canton, Ohio. Which part of Canton? You're lucky to have Hartville Hardware and Keim Lumber close by.
Shop Dad said:

Nice idea Nik. Of course we are now all going to be bidding against each other for these.

Doug

It would be hard for the woodturning community to even make a dent in the current ebay supply.... let alone the fact that it's practically in infinitely renewing resource.
If I did not gain to much weight I would do that to mine.

Good idea and very nice seeing you posting here and really hope to see what you are making.

Arlin
macpiano said:

Oh wow, I grew up in Canton, Ohio. Which part of Canton? You're lucky to have Hartville Hardware and Keim Lumber close by.

North East side, near GlenOak.

We moved here about 5 years ago for my wife's job... I had no idea at the time I was practically moving to the holy land of woodworking. 2 of arguably the best hardware stores in the country in driving distance! Plus I can drive 50 min to Yoder lumber's main warehouse where I can buy any domestic species at wholesale prices!!! (yay for $2-4/bf cherry!)
My daughter was a chef. I use her old chef's jackets. It's too bad they fit - she's a big girl...