Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Motor pulley size on a jointer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not having a good string of threads... Shortly after getting the delta 8" jointer I wrecked the stock motor pulley while removing it. I found a pulley in my pile of spare parts, but it is an inch more in diameter. I was playing with a speed calculator site and found that the 3450rpm motor with a 3.5" stock pulley would turn the head at 5366rpm, which has a 2.25" diameter pulley. The 4.5" pulley I found shows it would crank it up to 6900rpm. Is that too fast for the bearings and cutter head?

I will try the auto parts stores for a correct one if it is too much. Tractor supply struck out, the pulley is almost the same except it takes a wide belt and the belt would sit lower slowing down the speed.

Bob
bobs64ford352 said:

with a 3.5" stock pulley would turn the head at 5366rpm,

My Delta No. 37-315 8" is designed to spin at 5175 RPM.

You can look up what you have on the Vintage Machinery site and see what was spec'd.
Found a post when I searched that delta says the speed should be in the 5k range, so looks like I'll be looking around tomorrow.

Thanks Bob
Get a cast iron finished bore sheave from surpluscenter.com. Watch the pitch diameter, as they take both A and B belts, and A belts sit lower in the groove.
Thanks, I remembered another parts bin I have, that I will look through tomorrow and since I'd like one ASAP, I'll take a quick look local tomorrow. If that doesn't pan out I'll check them out.
If you're ok with die-cast aluminium, any good hardware store will have a rack of them. Also check industrial supply houses, which are basically hardware stores that cater to construction. McMaster ships things really fast, and when I lived in NJ, I'd get things next day with standard shipping.
Just got back from tractor supply they had what I needed, it was a 3.5" die cast. I stopped at a regular hardware store and they only went to 3". Now that that is all fixed up I was turning it by hand I think the inboard bearing might be going bad, looks like I'll be digging deeper.

Thanks all
I would let it run for at least a little while before calling a bearing that has sat for some time to be bad.......

JME

Joe
Will do, although it might not be bad to start with fresh bearings, especially since I'm in tear down mode with these things. I'll play with it, some more, I still need to make up a 220V extension cord so I can run the machines where they currently sit.

Bob