Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Good price on lumber?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Saw an ad for Makore (African Cherry) lumber. $60 for the following pieces. This seems like a good deal? How is hard is this species to work with and how does it look after finish is applied.

64 x 5 x 7/4
65 x 5 1/2 x 7/4
64 x 5 1/4 x 7/4 with crack that has been glued

43 x 4 1/4 x 7/4
44 x 5 1/2 x 6/4
If it is $60 for all that, that is a no brainer. Run don't walk. That wood could have interesting grain. You can get curly wood, fiddleback or others. It is a bit on the Mahagony color range and works well with sharp tools. I would take a chance for sure. Unless you see it and it is all knotty then why not.
That's around $3.52/BF. S4S sells for around $10/BF. Mixed grain S2S for around $6/BF. Looks like a decent deal, but 7/4 is an odd thickness. If all you're going to do is plane it down to 3/4" thick, you're better off buying mixed grain S2S, IMO.
Resaw???????

With nothing wider than 5 1/2" you could resaw on a 14" easily. Huh, guess that never occurred to you?
Where is it? I will go check it out for you
How selfless
Steve N said:

Resaw???????

With nothing wider than 5 1/2" you could resaw on a 14" easily. Huh, guess that never occurred to you?

Nope. Not until you mentioned it. Thanks for pointing it out in such a kind and gentle manner.
That is a good deal on the material. One warning about using it though especially if you will be resawing it. The fine dust from the stuff is rough. Think red pepper. I tried resawing some of it a long time ago and it was not a nice experience. You may be lucky and not have a reaction to the dust but I have yet to meet anyone who has reacted different than I did. If you are doing anything that generates fine dust just wear a good dust mask. Other than that it is a really nice looking wood when finished. I actually built some cabinetry out of it and it was quite stunning.
I would jump on that. The short pieces are plenty for legs and you could resaw the longer pieces to 3/4 and have a really nice table, TV stand, etc. Good luck.
+1

Its one of my favorite exotics. But take the sensitivity seriously. One of the only woods that makes my nose run.