Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Couple of questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am changing the seats on some older chairs - my daughter is inheriting them and she wants the wicker seats on these hardwood ladder back chairs changed. I made a pattern out of MDF and, using maple, will band saw and flush trim the seats with a router. I was going to use shellac, at least to get the grain to pop. Question 1: is a few coats of shellac durable enough for the seats of kitchen chairs? She has three small children so that is a consideration as far as durability. I also may be using some TransTint, which I have not used before. I see that you can mix it with water on bare wood, or mix it with the shellac - any recommendations or does it just come down to the desired color? As always, your advice is very much appreciated. FPT
Shellac is great, pops te grain and very easy to repair BUT
Quote:

She has three small children…

it really must be topcoated.
Transtint can be applied in, DNA or water as well as shellac. It's easier in shellac as you can alter the tint. (Make sure to keep good notes for repair or new work.) Find the color that you want on some scrap.

As you are replacing wicker you will likely wan to dissemble the chairs and strip them.