Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Toughest veneer glue on the planet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am working on an old dresser, 50s vintage. The dresser is mostly hardwood but the face of the drawers is (well, was) beautiful bookend veneer. Unfortunately, a guest put a vaporizer in front of the dresser and buckled the veneer. I thought since the vaporizer had done such a good job of debonding the veneer that this would be a (relatively) simple job. NOPE!

I have tried a hot towel on the veneer face. I have tried a steam iron. I have tried a dilute vinegar solution. I have tried a heat gun. This veneer is glued on with the best glue on the planet.

The vaporizer discharged onto the veneer for about two weeks so there was plenty of time to debond the glue. I really don't have two weeks to work on three drawers. Suggestions?
Try a high intensity high volume steam generator. Some folks rent them fairly cheaply.
If they are flat fronts just plane off the veneer with a hand plane. It will likely dull the blade once you get into the glue, but you should be able to get the veneer off pretty quickly.

John
Sounds like hide glue.

Steam and time -- just like what worked accidentally

Rent a steamer like they use for wallpaper removal?

If it's hide glue you might just be able to smooth it back out!
Thanks everyone. Off to rent a wallpaper steamer.