Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Anyone made a fence with a slider for their miter gauge?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm at a bit of a loose end so I thought I'd make an fence to attache to my miter gauge.

Sorta like this, but a lot less fancy: http://www.rockler.com/incra-miter-gauge-1000

I'd like to incorporate a stop so I can make repeatable cuts. I'd like it to flip up and out of the way for longer cuts.

I've got a nice piece of hard maple that I milled up square yesterday and it is about 50" long. (Might be a little too thick as it does add weight when you're pushing the miter gauge, but I though I'd leave it thick for now).

I've got a few of those black knobs I thought I'd use to hold down the stop (and it will allow me to remove the stop for long cuts).

Anyone built a fence with plans/videos they'd like to share?
ShopNotes magazine had a few over the years. I can't find the one I was thinking of, but Vol 9 issue 53 is close.

I clamp a block for repetitive cuts. Lazy Polack, I guess

Also have a commercial one for my Biesmeyer, for those other side repetitive cuts.
I have an Incra 1000se. It has an adjustable stop with a find adjustment knob I like.

I screw 1/2" thick plywood to the fence so there is a backup to the cut to eliminate tear out.

On my crosscut sleds I just use a 4" bar clamp to set a stop. I've tried spring clamps but they've slipped a bit sometimes and they aren't worth the risk.

Mike
mikefm101 said:

I have an Incra 1000se. It has an adjustable stop with a find adjustment knob I like.

I screw 1/2" thick plywood to the fence so there is a backup to the cut to eliminate tear out.

On my crosscut sleds I just use a 4" bar clamp to set a stop. I've tried spring clamps but they've slipped a bit sometimes and they aren't worth the risk.

Mike

I have the same miter gauge, but use a small C-clamp on my sled. Don't want no slipping.
stav said:

ShopNotes magazine had a few over the years. I can't find the one I was thinking of, but Vol 9 issue 53 is close.

I made this one a couple of years ago. It works incredibly well. The slide out extension works for longer pieces. It has turned a stock miter gage into an accurate accessory.
I also have and like the Incra 1000SE fence, with the fine adjustment knob.
Whatever fence, I think a flip stop is needed. If you need it out of the way, you can flip it back and not loose your setup.
I would mill the wood down to 3/4 x 3" (+/-) x about 15 - 19 inches long. The length I would use most of the time.
Attach a t track to the top, or as I did, cut a t slot, and make a flip stop for it. A machine screw for fine adjustment would be real nice.
You could use the extra stock for a removable extension.
I made one from an article in Wood Magazine by a WoodNetter - Handi

For the cost of some scrap wood and a couple hours it was well worth the time to build. It serves my needs quite well.

It is from Wood Magazine December/Jan 2011/2012, Issue 209
Page 28

Bill
A flip stop is useful, but if you don't mind it looking like scrap you can just use a long flexible strip with a block glued on or notch cut out. Clamped to a simple fence it serves as a stop block, and simply bends out of the way for long cuts. It works as an extension block for cutting pieces longer than the fence. And literally takes under a minute to make.
Pages: 1 2