Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Stay flat panel?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm building a simple frame and panel door - paint grade. I plan to use 1/4 panel and would like to use something that will stay as flat as possible. I guess 1/4 mdf wood be ideal, but I need something I can pick up in a big box store. I have a Lowes, Home Depot or Menards to choose from. Any thoughts?
Double tempered Masonite is smooth on both sides and one of them should have it. It paints very well as long as you use a solvent based primer first, or a coat of shellac. White BIN shellac primer works great for me for paint grade projects.

John
Ed-

Seems I've seen 1/4" panels of MDF at the local HD as small sheets, maybe 2'X4'. More costly than full sheets per square foot, but easier to carry. Ya - here tis.

Phil
Thanks guys! I was thinking I'd looked for thin mdf a few years ago and came up empty. I will look again. I will also check out the masonite - and thanks for the finishing tip. I don't work with those materials much, but know they can soak up paint like a sponge.
Our Menards carries 1/4" MDF. I use it a lot for templates.

Either product would do fine.
Sign makers use sign foam board for their carved signs. They take paint well, are light weight, are designed to withstand an outdoor environment and they are dimensionally stable.

http://www.signfoam.com/

HOME // PRODUCTS / SIGN·FOAM

Products
Sign·Foam
Grain·Fraim
Dura·Caps Finials
Signmaking Handbook
Sign·Foam ‐ Defining dimensional creativity for any environment

Sign·Foam3 is offered in the 10 pound density, Sign·Foam4 is offered in the 15 and 18 pound densities, Sign·Foam provides a superb substrate for dimensional sign making, environmental graphics, 3-D displays and model making. It is virtually indestructible, so it offers an unlimited lifespan in any application ‐ inside or out. Sign·Foam is lightweight, yet remarkably strong and stable over time. It is impermeable by water and moisture, and unaffected by high-salt environments. And, the material is formulated to withstand temperatures from −30° F to 220°F. So it holds up under extreme conditions and in severe weather. Sign·Foam clearly outperforms wood and ordinary HDUs.
Quote:

I'm building a simple frame and panel door - paint grade. I plan to use 1/4 panel

thinnest posted is 1/2" and I would not trust it in a door as a panel

Use MDF from the borg

Joe
JGrout said:

[blockquote]Quote:

I'm building a simple frame and panel door - paint grade. I plan to use 1/4 panel

thinnest posted is 1/2" and I would not trust it in a door as a panel

Use MDF from the borg

Joe

[/blockquote]

You don't trust it because??? Someone could kick it in? Because it does not add structure to the door?

I could kick in a 1/4" board of any kind and none add much in the way of structure. And if it were a raised panel of solid hardwood it would add nothing in the way of structure but would add substantially to the weight.

This is the only offered option that allows any shaping. It is a proven outdoor product (which mdf and tempered hardboard are not). I think it would work fine.

Availability and price would be the determining factors.
OK it just did not meet the needs of the OP.

use whatever you want

MDF is cheap it is flat it meets the needs of the OP, is readily available.

Frame and panel construction will keep the panel as flat as it will ever need to be. 1/4" is pretty light-duty, so I'd be inclined to go with a regular plywood over MDF, just in case the door is ever subjected to a blow--somebody falling against it, for example.