Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Hide Glue Opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been reading up on hide glue and have decided to use it on a grandfather clock I'm making. Most likely I will be using liquid Titebond or Old Brown glue. Just wondering what Woodnetters that have used either product have to say about their experience.

I've used both Franklin Titebond Liquid Hude Glue and Old Brown Glue. I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you've never used liquid hide glue before. You get a good tack after just a few minutes, but you can reposition for a little while, even after the initial tack. It's pretty forgiving. You can extend the shelf life of a bottle of liquid hide glue by keeping it in the fridge. I have a bottle of Old Brown Glue that's been in the fridge for over a year and it's still good. Tha best part about this stuff is the clean up. A warm damp rag works fine. Wiped-up glue doesn't interfere with the finish like PVAs and related adhesives.
+1
I have one but I'm keeping it hidden
Hank mentioned repositioned, Google "rub joint" it's fast paced panel making that won't disappoint. Not mentioned is it's reversibility, and without the mess you will get with any other glue if you try to break it down once cured. Either will work just fine, price and availability are what drive my buying decision.

An article you might enjoy
OBG is my main glue these days, I only use PVA for jigs and throw away items, or that need a fast set.
As mentioned, keep in the fridge to extend life.
A tall case clock is a perfect project for LHG. It's stronger than the wood and I read that it is easier to take apart - haven't tried it myself. I really like the part about missed glue spots don't destroy the finish.

I won't use it for projects that may subject the actual glue to either significant heat and/or moisture - since that's what reverses it. Don't forget that the glue is usually protected by the finish.
JSpill,

I have used both, but it has been years. Instead I use hot hide glue. It can do everything those liquid glues can do and somethings they can't. The addition of urea will slow the setting time to allow ample time for glue ups, but will require shorter clamping time.
When I did use them, I preferred the Titebond. It set faster (but still very slowly). The one time I found the Old Brown Glue superior was when I veneered the column of a lighthouse clock. The slow setting time is a great benefit here. Both are stronger than needed so in the end it is a toss up.
This clock was assembled with hot hide glue for everything from the hammer veneering to the glue blocks. The only exception was the blanks for the bandings which were glued up with white glue.

Rob Millard
www.americanfederalperiod.com

WOW Rob, another really well done piece! To the OP, I've also used both (OBG and Titebond) and frankly didn't see much difference in terms of performance. OBG seemed to be quite a bit more expensive, and also seemed to have a shorter shelf life. I do keep all of it in the fridge for storage. On my bucket list is to try the hot hide glue.
Plus #1 OBG