Woodnet Forums

Full Version: workbench height.....too low??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I guess workbench height is a rather "tired" topic, but I think I need some advice. I am in the design stage before building a new workbench.

A couple years ago, I read Paul Sellers about the height of his workbench, which I believe he wrote was 38 inches. He wrote that he was about 5 foot 11 inches at the time, and that 38 inches had always been a good height for him. I am not as tall as he, I am 5 foot 7 inches. So, since I was comfortable working in the kitchen, I based my bench height on the height of the kitchen countertop, 37 inches (figuring that because I am shorter than Paul Sellers I could reduce the height by an inch.)

Now that I'm in the design process for a new bench, I decided to test if perhaps I should go lower. This was based on my readings of the heights of some older Roubo benches, and also a visit to the Amana colonies in Iowa, where I saw several old woodworking benches that were quite low. Also, I figure that my 5 foot 7 inches probably matches pretty well with the heights of woodworkers in the past.

So, I put some plywood on the floor next to my bench and began hand-planing, then added more plywood and continued hand-planing, then added even more plywood and continued to plane. When I measured the height from the top of the plywood to the benchtop, it was about 29.5 inches. OK, that seems awfully low (but felt fine) during the hand-planing. But I think that I was able to plane better because I get get more downward force.

Is anyone using a bench that low? Is it too low for the long-run? Maybe it just feels fine today, but might grow tiresome in a couple months. It's hard to design something by seeing if it "feels right". But that is exactly what the bench design books and articles normally advise: "build the bench at the height that feels right".

I'd like the benefit of the experiences of others, and all the advice I can get, please.
I'm 5'10" and my workbench is 34 (maybe 34.5"). It of course is an extremely personal decision and depending on your preferences and work habits. That said, I would hate my workbench to be that high. Hate. But that's me.

Good thing is if it's too talk you can always make it shorter. Going the other way isn't always as easy.
Consider the height/thickness of what you're going to be working on when you look at the bench height.

If you plane a lot of 4/4 type lumber you may want a lower bench than if you do a lot of work on larger pieces.

I like a little taller bench; I can always stand on something if needed for a comfortable work height.
If 29.5" feels good, stay with that and don't get too wound up in what others have. I'm also 5'7", and may come up with a lower bench for planing.
Frank Klauz used the bent at the wrist approach 

It worked for me 

Stand up straight  hang your arm down at your side bend your wrist back as far as you can then measure to the palm of that hand.

I am 5' 10 and my bench is 33" for comparison

Joe
You have figured it out.  Hand planing wants a significantly shorter bench than assembly and joinery.  Unfortunately, it wants steady footing, too, so a riser to use the taller bench isn't truly practical.  Make the bench for joinery and assembly  same height as your tablesaw, and make a planing horse for those times when you must do heavy work.  For me, a workmate with my foot firm on the step has done fine.  Underhill made one about 10" wide with bench dog holes and below bellybutton height. 

Reason is simple - half-bending over a joinery bench will KILL your back.
I'm also 5'7".  I just put a new top on my bench and made it higher than the old one.  It is now 36" tall.  I like it for a couple of reasons: I have back problems so bending over a bench can become painful and I work on smaller projects so I'm not trying to assemble large case goods on my bench.  How old are you?  If you're younger you can probably tolerate a lower bench without problems.  What do you like to make in the shop and do you do a lot of planing?  So much depends on the type of woodworking you do.  Most of the planing I do is light duty or touch up.  If you're hard core into hand milling lumber than a lower bench is going to be much easier to use.

Lonnie
I have made 200+ benches in the past for manufacturer lab benches. Unless specified differently the benches were 32" high.Often ladies used these benches. For my own bench ,34" is comfortable.I am 5'-10".
You could make the bench any height that you are comfortable with.
mike
A low bench is fine for planing as it allows more down force.  A planing bench should be heavy enough to resist any motion that might result from planing.  My planing bench is 32" (I'm 5'9'') and that works well for me.

On the other hand, an assembly/sanding bench needs to be taller.  I finally wised up and built a bench at 42" to do my sanding and assembly.  My back is much better at that height and it gives me the option to work more in a standing position.  A taller bench just needs to relatively flat, it doesn't need all the bells and whistles that are necessary on a planing bench.

If I were building just one bench it would be a lower one because you simply can't plane effectively at a tall bench.

Simple rule that usually works. Take your height and divide it my two. That's the best height for your workbench. That also works for me.
Pages: 1 2 3