Woodnet Forums

Full Version: I made a box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Made this box for my GF out of walnut, curly maple, and ebony accents.  Used trans-tint medium brown on the maple with sanding in between applications to bring out the curl.  Used minwax "natural" stain on the walnut followed by satin poly.  The ebony handle just sanded on the lathe, no finish.  The photos don't really show the maple very well.  It pops a lot more in person with better lighting.  

[Image: IMG_3338.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3339.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3340.jpg]
I'm impressed! She will be, too!
Very nice, really cool design. I like it when people think out of the box, so to speak and make some neat stuff. She should be impressed and pleased.
That's quite a box! She must be really special!
That is really beautiful! Great design. I love the handle.
The curl looks good on my screen, if it popped more I would need to wear safety glasses to look at it Big Grin

LOML collects old cast, and brass plate irons. Many of the handles look a lot like your turning.

End of the day it only matters if the GF likes it, and I imagine she will Yes
Cool Very nice looking box, I am sure she will like it very much.

Steve
you can be very proud to give that gift. It is spectacular. It is art posing as a beautiful box!
Truly remarkable. It's a work of art. Gasp!
Thanks everyone for the comments.  I've had the ebony for 10 years, and finally found a good use for it.
Pages: 1 2