Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Is this jointer a good deal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/5732203250.html

it's a grizzly G1182HW

Right now i just have a tabletop delta 6".  While i'd LOVE to get an 8" jointer, just don't know if I can justify it, nor the room for it.  
It's nice cause the guy is pretty local to me-- i keep finding ones that are more than an hour away.

Colin
Looks like a good deal; jointer appears clean and rust free.
A friend has that jointer and loves it.I believe that is the extra heavy duty model. The machine looks new in the pictures,price is probably about right .Go get it,
mike
Go get it.  And keep looking for an 8" since that sounds like what you really want.  You should be able to sell the 6" for what you paid for it when the time comes.

John
Yes. Do it.
i looked up the helical blade upgrade for it, and it's only avail for models mfg in 2003 and newer... but the upgrade is over 300 bux... so kind of pointless to put 300 bux into a jointer that doesn't even cost that much to get.
I like to run a tool before I buy, and that one should run on 110, so any of the "I ain't got the right lectric so you can run it" while you are looking at the 220 receptacle right there, and gee the tool and the outlet have the same configuration. I say all of that because sometimes a lo price could be a sell it fast least they really look at it. Also sometimes a guy bought a tool 30 years ago, and just wants close to what he paid back then. I also bring a chuck of nail free wood along to run through it to see that it not only runs, but while under a load. Beyond that looks good Big Grin
While it's not a steal, it does seem like a good deal.  You may be able to get it for less if you ask what his/her bottom dollar is.  Regardless, you should be able to get your money back out of it once you get your dream 8-inch jointer.

I had a 6-inch Ridgid jointer for several years then moved up to a Jet 8-inch helical last year.  I was able to quickly sell my Ridgid for $300 which was more than I paid for it new.  There seems to be good demand for 6-inch jointers in this price range.

Best.
Meh. Not great, not bad.

Then again, this winter I picked up a 96 year old 8" jointer for $250.

If you need it, get it and, like others have said, keep an eye open for that 8".