Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Plug-in Air Compressor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My car has a 120v outlet. I would expect that there are low current draw 120v air compressors available.

But you don't want an air compressor, you want an inflator.
(10-12-2016, 09:23 AM)GHR Wrote: [ -> ]But you don't want an air compressor, you want an inflator.

I think this is a very important distinction.  There's no reason to pump air up to 100+ psi, then blow it down to 30+ psi.  Especially if you can get a higher-output pump that works at a lower pressure.  Like this one.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036E...=155346011
  (I know nothing about it, other than it's 60 psi max, and a higher cfm rating than other, higher-pressure rated inflator/compressors.)
Well, a true 1 hp electric motor, even with a 100% efficient inverter, would require about 60 amps at 12 v to run. You aren't gona run one off an inverter you get at Best Buy. An inverter with enough capacity to run a 1 hp electric motor isn't going ot be cheap, and it's going to have big fat cables that will have to be connected directly to the battery or similar. ie: It won't just plug into a cigarette lighter socket.

On the other hand, most "horsepower" ratings on compressors are complete lies.

Has he considered a tire pump? If you get a decent quality one with a larger diameter barrel it really doesn't take that long to pump up a tire.
Pages: 1 2