Woodnet Forums

Full Version: favorite ways to attach 2x4 to concrete basement floors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I tore out the walls in my basement because they had been flooded and got mold.  They were put in with cut nails.  Is there a better way?  Was thinking about anchors or the explosive charge nailers.
also thought about tapcons. Do tapcons work with pressure treated wood? I'm using pressure treated 2x4 for the floor plates

On another note, I guess I have to buy a lifetime supply of galvanized nails for my nailgun. Seems like they only sell them in packages of a million
Google Ramset.

You can get them at HD or Amazon. Wear ear protection....
(11-17-2016, 12:42 PM)EricU Wrote: [ -> ]also thought about tapcons.  Do tapcons work with pressure treated wood?  I'm using pressure treated 2x4 for the floor plates

On another note, I guess I have to buy a lifetime supply of galvanized nails for my nailgun.  Seems like they only sell them in packages of a million

Construction Adhesive with a few anchors of choice. Just make sure they have the proper coating on them for treated lumber.
TapCons work great, just be sure you have a hammer drill to drill the holes.  Easy to use and removable if necessary.  They make exterior rated ones which work fine with PT lumber. 

John
(11-17-2016, 01:01 PM)jteneyck Wrote: [ -> ]TapCons work great, just be sure you have a hammer drill to drill the holes.  Easy to use and removable if necessary.  They make exterior rated ones which work fine with PT lumber. 

John

and an Impact driver to put them in......make sure you vacuum or blow out the holes too.

Ed
I have drilled the holes and then put a piece of weed wacker line in the hole and then driven in a Stainless steel duplex nail.  The weed wacker line and nail create a wedge.   Somewhere along the way a ended up with a small box of stainless steel duplex nails, no idea where they came from or how i got them but I only use them for basement walls.

I have used tapcons in the past but they always seem to break on me if I try to remove them.
3 words. Powder actuated tool.
Powdered actuated fasterner combined with lots of construction adhesive.  Glue... Fasten and let sit for a day till the glue cures... especially on short closet walls.  Otherwise you risk loosening the fastener in cracked concrete if you bang on the new framing too early.
If the wall can't be lifted by any external force as an impact or wind etc, I'll use the ramset. If it is self supporting I'll use good anchors.

I've always wondered where the concrete goes that the nails space takes up?
Pages: 1 2 3