Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Sheetrock and painting assitance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have removed the wallpaper from my wall and I am in the process of removing the glue.  The wall only had a primer put on it for the wallpaper.  My question is do I seal the walls and then patch the sheetrock were needed or fix the problems first and then seal and paint?

Thank you for your comments,
Patch, seal then paint.
If the outer layer of the rock is damaged, I've had very poor luck trying to fix it without sealing it in some way first. What happened to me was the water in the mud made the underlying paper wrinkle and it was a huge PITA to correct. So I started treating the torn areas first with something (usually a coat of shellac) to seal them from the moisture. That seemed to solve the problem. That said, I'm pretty sure I'm worse at something than drywall work; but at the moment cannot remember what that might be.
(11-21-2016, 03:30 PM)MikeBob Wrote: [ -> ]Patch, seal then paint.

This. Also if any of the paper on the drywall is torn, cut it back to clean edges with a sharp knife before you start patching. Once you have everything patched, you need to seal it with a PVA primer, or one labeled specifically for new drywall.
I seal torn and/or damaged drywall with Zinnser Gardz prior to and after making a repair. I find the sealer helps the paper from swelling under the wetness of the compound which reduces buckling and improves adhesion. No other primer is required when using Gardz so you are good to go with a topcoat of quality paint right over it.
(11-21-2016, 07:45 PM)Woodenfish Wrote: [ -> ]I seal torn and/or damaged drywall with Zinnser Gardz prior to and after making a repair. I find the sealer helps the paper from swelling under the wetness of the compound which reduces buckling and improves adhesion. No other primer is required when using Gardz so you are good to go with a topcoat of quality paint right over it.

I am not familiar with your product, so I wont dispute that over the repairs, but the whole area should be primed b4 painting. Primer seals and gives paint better adhesion.
Gardz is a sealer and a great undercoat for today's paints. Fast dry, low odor, great spreading, low cost and no ghosting of repair under paint. Downside is it's thin and does not fill pin holes like some kinds of primers. That has been my experience and isn't hard to overcome.
(11-21-2016, 09:11 PM)Woodenfish Wrote: [ -> ]Gardz is a sealer and a great undercoat for today's paints. Fast dry, low odor, great spreading, low cost and no ghosting of repair under paint. Downside is it's thin and does not fill pin holes like some kinds of primers. That has been my experience and isn't hard to overcome.

Did not know, but been out of the bizz for at least 6 years. I will keep it in my hind pocket in case I need to do a home project.
Thanks.