Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Cutting bar stock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Can I use a 60pt carbide blades (RAS) to cut steel bar? I'm cutting a 1/2" square tube and need 4 pieces exactly the same size. I can cut it with a hacksaw, then grind it to the same size, but cutting in on my RAS would be faster and more accurate.
No. Carbide tipped blades are for use on non-ferrous metals only.
Brass, aluminum, etc.
Carbide tips are brittle -- they shatter if they hit anything steel.

Get a new hacksaw blade and tension it right. Mark the cut well and grind to fit.
Thanks. Knew I couldn't cut threaded rod, wasn't sure about tubing.
Cutoff wheel on a angle grinder.      Roly
If you are going to make a habit of this, consider a cordless portable bandsaw.  Drop hints to Santa.  They are the cats adze for work like that.
(11-27-2016, 08:42 PM)blackhat Wrote: [ -> ]If you are going to make a habit of this, consider a cordless portable bandsaw.  Drop hints to Santa.  They are the cats adze for work like that.

I have a bandsaw, what type of blade would you suggest?
(11-27-2016, 04:17 PM)Scouter Wrote: [ -> ]Can I use a 60pt carbide blades (RAS) to cut steel bar? I'm cutting a 1/2" square tube and need 4 pieces exactly the same size. I can cut it with a hacksaw, then grind it to the same size, but cutting in on my RAS would be faster and more accurate.

Porta band not a WW bandsaw 

[Image: 4197G2BRZ6L.jpg]

12-14 TPI works on this saw
The make a table accessory for the saw Joe posted.  I have that saw but the table is another $250 and I haven't come across a deal on one yet
(11-27-2016, 08:27 PM)Roly Wrote: [ -> ]Cutoff wheel on a angle grinder.      Roly

+1
Pages: 1 2 3