Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Magnolia question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Large Magnolia tree coming down.
The diameter is 18-24". Is the wood worth saving for bowl turning?
Does it split quickly?
Rick
Magnolia can be quite stunning; it can be creamy yellow with great chatoyance.
I heard it is a great wood to turn but since I have not used it I can not say for sure.

Also welcome back I have not seen you for a while.
This is what the "Got Wood?" folks have to say about magnolia
Quote:Magnolia
Suitable for inexperienced turners. Wood is typically white or tan in color. This species is fairly soft. Grain can be straight or wavy. Clean cuts require sharp tools. Sands to a medium lustre, finishes easily, and is stable when dried.

Special Note:
These pieces may occasionally contain light mineral stain or trace amounts of black line spalting.

Drying Tips:
This wood dries very well and should not require special care.

They are out of stock on it at the moment.

For bowl blanks (assuming that you will not be turning them right away), I would suggest:
cutting them to length that are about one and a third to one and a half times as long as the diameter,
take a slice/slab down the length ~1" thick that includes the pith (use this quarter-sawn for project wood or for pen blanks),
cut the pith out of the slab,
seal all of the end grain.

If you update your CP to include your location (lost in the software change), you might even get some volunteers to help you in exchange for some blanks.
I have turned a couple of 12" bowls and a couple smaller ones. The wood will spalted black and can quite attractive. If it is wet, be sure to allow for warping. Apply the 10% wall thickness rule. As stated above you can have wavy patterns in the grain. I had one rough turned bowl split slightly - filled the split with coffee grounds and CA glue.

Definitely worth turning.
It is a great wood for turners...a great one to learn to turn and when turned green it cuts so easily...finishes good too..I learned alot  on some when I began . Get as much as you can!
Thanks for all of the replies.
I have a very large tree, so I will share some with fellow turners in my club.
I have arranged a pro to drop the tree because of the size and proximity to my neighbor's shed.
I'm looking forward to see what it's like to turn.
Thanks again
Rick