Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Spice racks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can't believe I'm going to ask this. The oldest junior high school shop class joke of them all, the spice rack.
Has anyone around here stepped it up and made a nice one? This is in Hand Tools for a reason.

Post 'em if you dare.

Thanks!
OK, I'll bite.  8th grade metal shop, ca. 1956:  no picture, but you can get  the idea.  Probably not exactly what you had in mind, though. ;o)

Spice rack:  Back/bottom of aluminum sheet folded up like a “J”.  Corners clipped at 45º.  Front strap folded around and riveted to the back by hand.  Sized for boxes of spices sold door-to-door in those days by Watkins and Raleigh salesmen.

Learned to use scratch awl, steel rule, sheet metal shear, bar folder, brake, hand drill, ball-pein hammer, anvil, rivet set, file.  That seems like quite a few tools needed to make a very simple object.

My mother used the rack as long as they lived in their home.
Maybe one like this?

[attachment=1062]
No room in the cupboard, can't see what you want for the forest? Perfect solution....

Well, in my house it is. Next to the spice shelf in the cupboard is a blank perpendicular wall with cupboard-height space. I think the space is clear of studs. It's easy to cut gyp-board. From there the sky's the limit.

Or, you can stop watching cooking shows and develop boring tastes.
One of my first woodworking projects was a spice rack. I'm pretty young but I still built it before digital cameras were common so I don't have any pics. I did use power tools and a bunch of brass screws which are exposed but I think it turned out pretty good even by my standards now.
Uhoh Uhoh Uhoh  Just finished this one up a week or so ago.

[Image: DSCF1399_zpsqje1ngkm.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1400_zpszqioxzag.jpg]
Probably gonna take a year of light before the false door front will match up.