Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Preston Stringing Router
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was cleaning up yesterday and found a tote that was too heavy to lift. Among its treasures were a handful of old Preston shaves. I took one of them into the shop today to give it a test drive. It is a Preston #1396 Stringing Router.

[Image: DSCN1923.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1924.jpg]

The blade protrudes through the bottom. Here you can see it as a tiny dark square.

[Image: DSCN1925.jpg]

Here is a close up of the blade.

[Image: DSCN1926.jpg]

So I got out a piece of scrap cherry and went to town.

It cut quickly and was easy to control.

[Image: DSCN1932.jpg]

I quickly cut a groove that was as deep as it is wide.

[Image: DSCN1933.jpg]

And then I glued a piece of maple in the groove.

[Image: DSCN1935.jpg]

After four or five hours, I got out the Bedrock #603 and the LN low angle block to go after the waste.

[Image: DSCN1954.jpg]

Then I wiped it with turps to make it pop.

[Image: DSCN1957.jpg]

I was impressed at how easy it was. And I was double impressed at how good it looks. Now I need to find a project that needs a little stringing.
Nice work Jim,  stringing works well on lots of projects, legs and table tops especially.
Only have one Preston spokeshave but it's one of my go to shaves, wish I had a few more......

Andy-- mos maiorum
(01-26-2017, 05:24 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: [ -> ][Image: DSCN1924.jpg]

It looks like if you flip the fence around, you will be able to cut grooves near curved edges. It is a really neat tool. Thanks for sharing it with us.