Woodnet Forums

Full Version: White ring removal help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good morning everyone! I am in need of the collective knowage of this trusted group - please help....

Subject: white moisture rings on an antique table top.
Question: does anyone have a solution, a tried and proven method? The internet of full of suggestions, from the weird to the witchcraft, i'm hoping for some solid advice.

Thanks for the help.
I have seen a ytube, wipe the area with denatured alcohol, while still wet light it off, white ring gone.
Just give it a very light spritz of denatured alcohol and the rings shoul go away.
(01-28-2017, 08:27 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: [ -> ]Just give it a very light spritz of denatured alcohol and the rings shoul go away.

... Dave D, the E.F. Hutton of fine furniture.
I do touch-ups professionally and this is a regular repair job.

I tried the light it on fire once, just once, and it blistered the finish.   Can't do that at a customer's home, in front of them. ;-)

I have used the wipe with denatured alcohol and it can work, particularly with shellac.

For modern furniture, I use these and have never had a failure http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-Furnitu.../202698033
(02-06-2017, 09:22 PM)bhh Wrote: [ -> ]I have used the wipe with denatured alcohol and it can work, particularly with shellac.

For modern furniture, I use these and have never had a failure http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-Furnitu.../202698033

Went to the link and read the reviews - seems to work well most of the time!  So, I was curious and found the MSDS sheet HERE - as circled on the image below, seems to be petroleum distillates w/ some kind of paraffin preparation - need to get my hands on some of these cloths!  :Smile Dave

[Image: HomaxRingCloth.png]
I always questioned this approach, but recently gave it a try and it worked. There was a white ring on a golden oak dining room table. I took a dab of mayonnaise and rubbed it in with my finger; then buffed it out with a paper napkin. The ring disappeared as I rubbed in the mayo. Buffing left the surface sheen blend in perfectly with the surrounding area. I don't know how this works, but it did. I don't know if this is a permanent fix or if the ring reappears down the road, but two minutes of application was the quickest repair I ever made.

I would be interested if anyone can explain why this works.