Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Old central vaccum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I used that mower hard and put it away wet a lot. Replaced the blade towers three times. They only sold bolt on towers, no repair [parts. First time the cost was something like $12, Second time was double that and the third time was over $50. Bearings were $4 and I had access to tools to replace them.

Gave the mower away when the deck rotted off. Rolleyes Me Slap
So I took the motor apart and yes, the bearings were shot.  I took to measuring them with calipers and was getting some weird dimensions until a realized that they are metric!  Then the size suddenly became very standard Laugh.  New bearings were ordered and installed and about a pound of dust and gunk scraped and blown out of the inside of the motor and the fan.  It is now quieter than ever.  At least as a vacuum unit goes.  I also repainted the inside of steel buckets because they were getting rusty.  All in all about $20 and a few hours of work.  I think it now sucks better than before and I hope it lasts a few more years.
Very good. I like when simple maintainance is all that is needed.
(02-01-2017, 05:17 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: [ -> ]I used that mower hard and put it away wet a lot. Replaced the blade towers three times. They only sold bolt on towers, no repair [parts. First time the cost was something like $12, Second time was double that and the third time was over $50. Bearings were $4 and I had access to tools to replace them.

Gave the mower away when the deck rotted off. Rolleyes Me Slap

At the mower shop shop a friend of mine had and I worked at Years ago.... There was an old white riding mower. I rebuilt it with a bigger engine etc because those were built like a tank. They used rreal tapered roller bearings from cars for the jackshafts. I used that mower for years before selling it as I needed something bigger. 

Op glad those new bearings made the fix, not surprising they were metric. I remember having to replace a bearing on something and it had one dimension metric and the other sae....  How did the brushes look. 

In my next shop I'm going to have a house vac plumbed along with the big dc to use for tools and cleanup.
The brushes looked fine and long.  From reading info on when to change brushes I didn't see a reason to replace.  I looked at replacement motor as well, but it's $260 for this unit.  I would rather just get a whole new vac if it had to be replaced.
(02-13-2017, 01:36 PM)WoodCzech Wrote: [ -> ]The brushes looked fine and long.  From reading info on when to change brushes I didn't see a reason to replace.  I looked at replacement motor as well, but it's $260 for this unit.  I would rather just get a whole new vac if it had to be replaced.

Yeah I have seen some refurbished ones on a few sites for around that price and some less. Yours will probably run another several decades.
Pages: 1 2