Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Respirator recommendation for me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I joined Woodnet.net in 2002 (I think). Was in woodworking in a big way but then got out, sold everything. A few weeks ago, the bug returned. This time I'm going to take my time and be more thoughtful about what I buy and what I do. Right now I'm wondering what you guys like for a very comfortable minimalist respirator. Thanks
A really loaded question there. What type of tool, used how, and what kind of DC, or air cleaner are you also using. Type of wood? Size of shop, and the airflow within it, Height of ceiling. So many variables to factor in make a quick, ready for everyone answer impossible. If you get going, and have just sawed a bit, sanded or anything with a lot of fine dust, and every DC, Vac, and air cleaner you have is on full tilt, and you look out a door or window and the air is full of floating dust, well so are your lungs.

With that in mind, knowing I only have the one set of lungs, and I abused them the first part of my life. I use a 3M Full Face respirator any time I am making dust. It protects both my lungs, and my eyes. I have had corneal abrasions 4 times even though I was wearing "Safety Glasses" when I got the abrasions. Only have the 2 eyes too.  Big Grin

[Image: full-facepiece-7800s-with-filter-2091-p100.jpg]

These fit better than standard dust masks

A lot of masks to choose from I would suggest P 100 filtration, for a bit more than P 90, and much better filtration. The question for these types is, what fits well, and is still comfortable, and you may try a bunch figuring that out, but if it doesn't fit well, it isn't protecting you.

At the end of the day, the acid test is you blow your nose after taking your mask off, and if it is dusty, your mask failed to do it's job.
I have the 3M 6291. Most of the time I have the P100 filters attached for dust, but I have filters for fumes and vapors for when I'm finishing or painting a project. 

I've used this both shop projects and remodeling. I have a beard and mustache that I keep trimmed short and seems to seal pretty well. This mask also lets me where my safety glasses or prescription glasses without fogging up.

The mask material is soft and the straps are fully adjustable so it's fairly comfortable.

[Image: 70070614436_400_01_01.jpg]

Hope this helps.

Dark
I too use the 3M products.  I use the 6800 full face for turning and the half mask ( I don't know the number) for general woodworking.   You can find them on Ebay pretty cheap.  I use the P95 pre filters on my masks.  
The 6800 provides impact protection.  I've been hit twice in the head by lathe projects.  The design of the mask absorbs impacts.  I have used these masks spraying lacquer and was unable to smell it in a small shop.  I just have the organic vapor cartridges and the P95 prefilters.  The cartridges last for years.  The prefilters have to be replaced as needed, but not very often.  You can blow them out with a compressor. The mask are easy to clean.  You can completely disassemble them.
I can't figure out why people buy those Trend electric masks.  They are at a high cost.  The batteries go bad.  Then they are looking for replacements.
Just my experience.
I'm very happy with the 3M products.
RP
Most of the name brands are very good. Get one with replaceable filters and most importantly: t has to fit correctly. The good ones in a sizes (normally S, M and L) and having it fit right (which might be a problem for the casual consumer) is key to it working properly. We used to have to have a "fit check" once a year when I had a day job, we were required to have the respirator on our person anytime we were on the factory floor. The nice thing about using one at work was I found  out my size (M, which was about 80% of the plant I was told). My favorites are the 3M models, and those made by North. Since the filters are a consumable item, you might want to check what brands are carried by local vendors...though the 3M stuff is available widely on-line.
Good info Fred. I still fit check about 1/2 of the workers where I am annually (OSHA regs). The 3M, North, and Scott masks make up most of the Full Face respirators sold. Having worn and fit all of them I feel the 3M are the most forgiving brand, so I guess the most versatile fit. Beyond a good fit you need a good filter on the mask. I've found for wood, and light paint the "pink" powder puff filters in P100 offer the best bang for the buck, and taking them off and smacking them real good a time or 3 will dislodge most of the dust on them, allowing you to keep using them. The cartridges while more expensive are usually made for vapors, chemicals, solvents, and stuff you think of as wet, and atomized. They clog quickly with wood dust, and don't clean off easily like the puffs do, and they are a lot more expensive. So you would use more of them, at a higher cost per unit. Plus once removed from the bag most of the cartridge filters only have a 30 day open life, before humidity starts to pancake them down. The puffs don't have anything that moisture effects quickly, so they aren't hampered by a 30 day life out of the package.
Can this be purchased at Home Depot?
I recently bought a 3M 6503QL.  I like the quick release function.  I have a full face mask, but I never use it.
(02-13-2017, 11:33 PM)Gibbcutter Wrote: [ -> ]Can this be purchased at Home Depot?

Home Depot, and Lowes both have several dust masks and some half face respirators, both tend to run toward 3M brand. Probably a deeper selection online from Amazon, or either Home Depot, or Lowes, Menards, and a zillion sellers of safety and respiratory care equipment. HF actually has a few items that would be way better than nothing at all. A lot of people will profess being a lot more comfortable in a dust mask, or a half face respirator. I use a full face at work, and I like the eye protection, but fact is if you aren't comfy with it on for a few hours sometimes, you won't wear it.

Home Depot link
Pages: 1 2