Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Which carbide tool do you have?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Don

Down in the basement John is selling carbide tools and cutters for $5 or so each
(02-21-2017, 01:52 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: [ -> ]Don

Down in the basement John is selling carbide tools and cutters for $5 or so each

It's not in the basement. It's in Tools, Swap & Sell.
https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7327453
Herb

Glad you knew what I meant and thanks for the link
Arlin, I do use the Trend Lapping Fluid; hopefully, by following their directions, the diamonds will last longer.
Those are some excellent prices and the work looks as good as any. 
Forget what I said about buying your own bar, drill and tap.....
I see the ends of the square bar are rounded so I do suggest you make a quick change handle yourself.
About $15 for a decent keyless chuck.
I don't have a photo of my 1/2" handle but here is my 1/4" for detail work (keyed chuck).
Thanks Arlin I'll keep this in mind.
(02-21-2017, 06:16 PM)NCPaladin Wrote: [ -> ]Those are some excellent prices and the work looks as good as any. 
Forget what I said about buying your own bar, drill and tap.....
I see the ends of the square bar are rounded so I do suggest you make a quick change handle yourself.
About $15 for a decent keyless chuck.
I don't have a photo of my 1/2" handle but here is my 1/4" for detail work (keyed chuck).

How did you make the end of the handle and where did you get the parts or size of the Jacobs chuck.
(02-21-2017, 06:11 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: [ -> ]Herb

Glad you knew what I meant and thanks for the link

No problem buddy. Glad to help out. Big Grin
(02-21-2017, 09:12 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: [ -> ]How did you make the end of the handle and where did you get the parts or size of the Jacobs chuck.

That particular one was a chuck from an old electric drill.  Drill chucks are pretty much standard; the 1/4" takes a 3/8" bolt and a 1/2" chuck a 1/2" bolt.  Just buy the proper bolt you need, cut off the head, and insert in the wood handle.
1/4" are tough to find but they now have the easy connect with a shaft which should be plenty long enough to epoxy in.
The 1/4" is great for small hollowers (bent allen wrench), 3 point, or lots of other small tools.
On my 1/2" the bolt goes 3" into the handle but you could go deeper if you wish...just buy a longer bolt.
https://www.amazon.com/Keyless-Change-Ad...rill+chuck
I'm not suggesting this particular one at Amazon, just give a "like this" for the 1/4".
First what morris taper is it and it is kind of bulky to use?
Pages: 1 2 3