Woodnet Forums

Full Version: lathe chuck
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have an older Rockwell/Delta lathe (4 speed belt drive), 1" spindle, that I've been thinking about getting a chuck for.  I don't do a lot of lathe work, but I do appreciate quality products.  I've had the lathe since 1973-it was my first woodworking machine.  I have 3 & 4 jaw metal working chucks, a couple "drill" chucks, some face plates, etc.  but I can see how a nice woodworking chuck would solve a lot of problems and open up some doors that I can't right now.

I 've looked around a little, and maybe a little overwhelmed with all the choices.  I think I should go as large as practical, and yet be able to use on smaller items.  What is good, and what is not so good?  I don't mind paying for quality, but am guilty of being cheap-there I said it.  I know the more things a tool can do, the less they do well.

What would be a good brand, and maybe "kit" to accomplish most of my so called needs/wants?  I don't need immediately so I can wait for bargains.  I saw both Rockler and Woodcraft had specials last month, but I wouldn't be surprised if some show up on sale again.

Please give me your input, I've even thought about upgrading the lathe itself, but this one serves me pretty well, and an upgrade would be spendy, I don't see used around here.  

Thanks for all comments.
i've been really happy with this one . . . good price too!   Cool 

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC3000C.html
I like my Nova G3 chuck.  I think they're a good balance of price and quality. I have the basic model.  The only thing I would do different is buy one of the ones with the other jaws included in the package.
Rodney

EDIT: Arthropod you posted right before I did while I was typing. That Barracuda looks like a nice setup, very similar to the Nova. That does look like a good price too.
(02-23-2017, 10:07 AM)arthropod98 Wrote: [ -> ]i've been really happy with this one . . . good price too!   Cool 

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC3000C.html

have that kit as well - so far so good with it.
i've also got the flat jaws and those are great too.   Yes
JMHO of course...
The chuck should be geared more for what you want to do but also considering the lathe size.
I am making an assumption that the largest diameter you can turn is probably 12"?
There are lots of good chucks out there but mine are Nova (7) and I have never had a problem with them.
Although they make a smaller one and a much larger one the two most folks use are either the G3 or the SN2 (SuperNova2).
The G3 is the smaller and lighter (4 or mine are G3's).  In general the G3 is for 12" and less.  Nova jaws can be used between different chucks but the chuck itself may limit which jaws to use.  For example the G3 takes all jaws but should not be used with the 130mm or powergrip jaws.  It isn't the jaws won't fit, they will, but if you need jaws that large they you would probably want to step up to the SN2 which is designed to take very heavy stress such as large hollowings.

The G3 is available on Amazon for about $105 including the insert.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_...VAEZ270YYM

I haven't used the PSI but they seem to get good reviews also.  With the extra jaws sets shown in the other link that is a good price also.
Whatever brand you decide on I would go with the insert style instead of direct threaded.  With insert style you just change the insert if your new lathe has a different spindle size.
I've not used PSI chucks, but I can recommend Nova and Oneway chucks.  Other very high quality brands are Vicmarc and EZ Wood Tools.  Before you purchase a chuck, I recommend you do some research into the kinds of things you want to turn on a lathe.  You don't really need a chuck for spindle turning.  Do you have live centers and a drive center?  A drive center is handy for spindle turning.  Live centers are used for practically everything.  Live centers aren't essential for bowl turning, but they are recommended and they make bowl turning much safer.  Most 4-jaw chucks come with one set of jaws, usually around 50mm.  You will want to add jaw sets according to the type and size of projects you accomplish.
I had a 46-204 my first fifteen years turning.  Turned and sold a LOT of bowls on it.  Original chuck was an old "Masterchuck," which was a nightmare prone to losing its project at the slightest perturbation.  Bought one of the original NOVA scroll chucks early in the 80's, and felt in heaven.  Did everything I wanted, and more.  Still have an original Tommy bar model from the 90's when I bought my used 3000.

Also have a couple of supers acquired later.  Get one, or one of the clones shown in the PSI page, though I recommend the Nova with a set of pin jaws and the 50's that come with.  I use them 90% of the time, but the so-called 75mm would be a great addition as well.  Lots of surface to shoulder a tenon, and a great angle, but large hole for wedging in a mortise. 

Lots of money can fall into the lathe corner, but you will really appreciate a chuck to cut down on fiddle time between objects and operations.

With that lathe, check your minimum rpm, though I would use both ends at all times until the piece is circular and at its lightest. SAFER!
Hurricane 125 here.
PM sent
Pages: 1 2