Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Dowel Joint repair Arts and Crafts chair
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have an antique mission style chair I am repairing.  Old enough for the wood and glue in the joints to dry out, shrink and become loose over the course of time.

Problem.  The dowels are slightly less than 5/16".  The holes are larger, but definately not 3/8".  I want to clean the old glue out of the holes and buy new dowels so I don't have to clean off the old dowels as well.

These sizes are not standard that I'm aware of.  Is it because they are from a time without a standard size or partly due to shrinkage over time for both the dowel and the holes?

Should I just clean what I have instead of risking damage trying to bore new 3/8" holes with now dowels?
bore to the next size (3/8")  you will not hurt anything doing so as long as the bores are true to the old holes  

Joe
Leave the old glue in the holes and on the dowels, and epoxy it all together.
What the best epoxy to use that's commonly available?

I was concerned it woulnd't stick to the old glue.
(03-05-2017, 07:14 PM)JGrout Wrote: [ -> ]bore to the next size (3/8")  you will not hurt anything doing so as long as the bores are true to the old holes  

I don't think I can, that's my concern with re drilling.
I use Loctite syringes I get at the local hardware store.

It sticks to the old glue, but more importantly the old glue provides teeth and a sort of interlock that keeps the joint from pulling apart again.
I would use epoxy from the big box stores.  It is easy to mix and you can do small batches.
(03-05-2017, 07:33 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: [ -> ]I would use epoxy from the big box stores.  It is easy to mix and you can do small batches.

This is the stuff I use:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/EPXY_5MIN_tds.pdf

If it is older than a year old, I do a test to make sure it cures properly.
(03-05-2017, 07:25 PM)JKimel Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think I can, that's my concern with re drilling.

Drill the glue out with the properly sized bit then follow up with 3/8 

or just use epoxy after you drill out the glue it will not be as strong but suffice
Thanks for the suggestions.
Pages: 1 2