Woodnet Forums

Full Version: General 260 or Powermatic 90 ? Which one??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Both are priced around $500 and both appear to be in good condition. The General has a 220v 1.5 hp motor, and I'm not sure which motor the PM has, other than it is 220v.

a couple questions -

Which are known to be better machines?

Which (if either) would be easier to modify to run with a vfd, as I want to be able to reduce the speed to 100rpm or so? Both currently have 220v motors.

If it is a tossup, then what would be your tie-breaker as far as other characteristics? Condition? Previous maint? How hard it was run?

Thanks!
They are practically identical from what I've seen, though admittedly I've only ever owned the PM90 and looked closely at the General as a member of a club that had one. Given that General is still in business, has parts, and is a great company - I'd choose the general if they are identical in every other way. I liked my PM90, but as they are basically the same (neither is better/worse.)

Bearings / condition, accessories may influence it - but otherwise, both were made by great companies as high quality machines meant to take a LOT of abuse as production lathes (note, these were often commercial units run for many hours a day, several days a week.) Different class than most Jet, Delta, or other lathes of the day. They also cost quite a bit more too... The General was something like $3500 when I had looked it up 8-9 years back when I had my PM90.

Michael