Woodnet Forums

Full Version: new/old entry bench
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My nephew and his lovely bride just moved into their new house. The first family gathering revealed a need for many new things so I made them an entry bench for putting on and taking off shoes.

As they are near the beach, I went with the muted blue paint and some old looking wood. The old wood is actually cutoffs from an earlier project made to look old with a powder product found at Rockler. I'll post the name when I get back to a computer. It's a powder mixed with water and turns wood grey.

So I bought a glued up pine panel from Lowes and used that for dimensions. Some ship lap joints cut on the dado saw, poplar framing, and some nails/glue and we're done! This is a surprise, so don't tell 'em. If they don't like it, I'll use it. It was fun making an "old" piece because I didn't do any worry about getting everything smooth (except the top), ridding the pieces of scratches, or insisting upon super-clean joinery.

It's just a bench, 21H x 18 x 36.
Looks good from here.   Yes
Cool
That looks terrific!
A while back we talked about projects that because of our tools and knowledge are quick and easy but that most people simply would not attempt. This is a great example of a functional item that is perfect for the situation yet easy to bang out. 

= home run.
(06-02-2017, 07:48 AM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: [ -> ]A while back we talked about projects that because of our tools and knowledge are quick and easy but that most people simply would not attempt. This is a great example of a functional item that is perfect for the situation yet easy to bang out. 

= home run.

Thanks. This took all of one day to make plus one for the paint to dry. The poplar frames are mitered rectangles let into the legs with mortices. I considered dowels, screws, and a load of other options but went this way because I did. The middle image above shows where one of the lower frame corners is let into the leg. This way both frames could be made the same size.
(06-02-2017, 08:53 AM)Harold O. Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. This took all of one day to make plus one for the paint to dry. The poplar frames are mitered rectangles let into the legs with mortices. I considered dowels, screws, and a load of other options but went this way because I did. The middle image above shows where one of the lower frame corners is let into the leg. This way both frames could be made the same size.

I really like the combination of the materials (painted and natural), it is very appealing to my eye.