Woodnet Forums

Full Version: saw rehabbed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got bored tonight.   had a pile of handles from breaking down a bunch of handsaws.....had this little handle..
[attachment=2900]
Seemed to need..something.   Went back and looked through the stack of junky saw plates.....found the one I had taken off this handle.....

Needed a bit of work.....sanded the plate clean ( found an etch..)  the first 2" of the toe were junk.    Broke the bad section off.   Reground a new profile on the end.  

Handle needed a bit of sanding, as there was a chip out of the top horn.   Blended it away.    Oil finish on the wood, and a wipe-on/wipe off oil coat on the plate. 

About ready for Polite Company to view..
[attachment=2901]
Might be ok...
[attachment=2902]
Bolts are clocked...
[attachment=2903]
Tooth line is now 16" long.  10ppi.   Only enough room for three fingers in the handle.   Index can be the pointer.
[attachment=2904]
Will get a tube of Gun Blue Paste later, and see IF I can bring that etch out a little bit better....

Not too hateful? Winkgrin
Nice save a quality old saw plate.
I love short panel saws. Good work.
Ok, after a couple triesth the Gun Blue Paste, SOME of the etch has come out....still very faint.

Banner near the bottom has "CAST STEEL"  and WARRANTED,  in-between these is what LOOKS like either a bearded figure, or a coat of arms.....don't think this is a Disston 090.....

Any clues as to who had an etch like this?  

Note:  I could only amke out one bearded fellow, facing towards the toe....not sure IF  there is a second one facing the other way...