Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Some Wands
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Zebrawood and spalted maple.  The one on the right the only tool I used was my straight chisel.  It turned out better than I expected but not quite as good as I wanted.  I need to re-learn finishing cuts.    I'm also still trying to figure out why it's easier for me to use my straight chisel than my skew.  I'm wondering if it's my skew has a relatively long angle.  most of the turning videos I see the bevels on their skews are shorter.  

These will be gifts for my kids and some friends of theirs.  I still have one more to make.  I'm going to get some drawer pulls for the handle ends.

[Image: jt1umjuNnTQDuUmbTlYVO9lkV2O7_BgEQypjVnSr...06-no?.jpg]
Nice!  I've been meaning to turn some wands.
Thanks, they're fun and don't take long. They're also good practice with the various tools. I have a hard time practicing for the sake of practice. I'd much rather be doing something productive with the time.
(12-16-2017, 11:35 PM)crokett™ Wrote: [ -> ]Zebrawood and spalted maple.  The one on the right the only tool I used was my straight chisel.  It turned out better than I expected but not quite as good as I wanted.  I need to re-learn finishing cuts.    I'm also still trying to figure out why it's easier for me to use my straight chisel than my skew.  I'm wondering if it's my skew has a relatively long angle.  most of the turning videos I see the bevels on their skews are shorter.  

These will be gifts for my kids and some friends of theirs.  I still have one more to make.  I'm going to get some drawer pulls for the handle ends.

[Image: jt1umjuNnTQDuUmbTlYVO9lkV2O7_BgEQypjVnSr...06-no?.jpg]

Normally I love Zebrawood but the spalted maple takes the cake here.  Well done.
Thanks Arlin. I'm thinking about trying to sell these but I need to figure out how to drill the end and keep it centered to attach the pull knob. The ones in the picture I drilled a hole after they were finished and they're a bit off-center, not that the kids will care. I turn these between centers. I'm going to try rounding one end into a tenon and use my pin jaws to hold it, then drill the other end and then use a cone center on it. I'm trying to minimize production steps. I'm thinking about trying a hole cutter or similar to form a tenon so I don't have to swap the spur center for the chuck.

If you're a Harry Potter fan, I'm calling the middle spalted maple one "Flame spalted maple with a dragon scale core".
Those are nice wands crokett Yes

Why would you want to use knobs, did you want metal on the ends ?
if you want a different look why not just glue a wood block on the end of a different color before turning.
The drawer pulls make them seem more ‘magical’. I’m thinking of casting resin to do the same thing and turning that along with the wand. I know that at a maker faire earlier this year the Wands with pulls were selling better and for more than the ones without