Woodnet Forums

Full Version: What size piano hinge?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm starting this cabinet today:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2012/04/2...ol-cabinet

The carcass and doors are 3/4" Baltic, the face of the doors is 1/2" Baltic.

I have 1-1/16" wide piano hinges on hand (48", the length of the doors). Will these be sufficient or should I use 1-1/2" wide hinges?

Thanks!
I just finished up the same cabinet earlier in the year. I would say the hinges you have will work as long as you don't load up the doors with all you heavy tools.
Cool.

How do you like it? Can you post some pics of it filled up? Any changes you made?
A proper tool cabinet is on my To-Do List. I know traditionally these designs incorporate a piano hinge as the elegant solution, but wouldn't heavy duty door hinges be more appropriate for the weight?
Cian,

A piano hinge spreads the weight over the length of the door instead of putting it at two, three points. Because there are so many more screws to spread out the weight, smaller, lighter gauge materials can be used.

They're also very easy to align and are pretty.
(12-30-2017, 04:15 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: [ -> ]Cool.

How do you like it? Can you post some pics of it filled up? Any changes you made?

I'll try to get picture tomorrow. I made a few small changes. I used red oak for the carcass and ply for the panels. I did not finish my cabinet either. My placement would not let me make use of puttting my saws in the back so they are hanging on a door. I reused my old peg board hooks for hangers in my cabinet too.
Brad-

I have been eye-balling that cabinet for some time and hope you put together a build along for those who may follow in your footsteps.

Phil
More important than the hinge width is the gauge. Use heavier gauge than standard.
(12-30-2017, 04:44 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: [ -> ]Cian,

A piano hinge spreads the weight over the length of the door instead of putting it at two, three points.  Because there are so many more screws to spread out the weight, smaller, lighter gauge materials can be used.

They're also very easy to align and are pretty.

Ok, I can accept that.
[attachment=6748][attachment=6747]
I also used solid wood for the inside set of doors. They were a lot tighter together when I built it but contracted a lot. I like having the tools I use most on the outside of the doors.
Pages: 1 2