Woodnet Forums

Full Version: When is Camellia oil not Camellia oil?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Today it's 4 degrees fahrenheit and USPS left the box containing my Camellia oil (from Amazon) on the porch.

To my surprise, the oil seemed unaffected by the low temperature.  It sloshed around inside the bottle like water.

A bit of Googling found Highland Woodworking and Rob Cosman both sell the exact same brand of "Camellia oil" but they advertise it more honestly.  They say it's a blend of liquid paraffin and camellia oil.  It doesn't give what percent of each - can any Woodnetter translate the writing on the bottle?   Would 100% Camellia have advantages?

This is the stuff I bought (but not the supplier I bought it from):

[Image: 25588383418_4a1dbffd96_b.jpg]
I bought a bottle from LN some years back at at woodshow.
Applied to several planes. The oil gummed things up, dried, had lumps all over everything. Yes, I wiped them down.

Then the bottle sat unused. 6 or so months later, I got it out to either use or get rid of it. The oil had turned rancid.
Needless to say I threw it away.
Formula may have changed by now.
(01-02-2018, 05:22 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: [ -> ]I bought a bottle from LN some years back at at woodshow.
Applied to several planes. The oil gummed things up, dried, had lumps all over everything. Yes, I wiped them down.

Then the bottle sat unused. 6 or so months later, I got it out to either use or get rid of it. The oil had turned rancid.
Needless to say I threw it away.
Formula may have changed by now.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.  When liquid paraffin lamp oil gets old, it gets gummy as you described.  And it might explain why LN no longer sells camellia oil.

Mike
Mine is from LN too. Label says Made in China, about 8 years old and still in liquid form in the bottle. Nothing looks or smells unusual.

Some years ago, FW did a test on various rust preventatives and found Camellia Oil offering not much protection against rust. I use it for general tool protection but for very humid seasons, I go with Boeshield T9 or Moovit which scored much better in the FW test.

Simon
I got mine 15 years ago from Japan Woodworker (pre-woodcraft) and its as nice as when I got it. I think the various blends differ, this was pure.
That's the stuff I've been using to wipe-down my hand tools after use.
Squirt onto an old t-shirt rag, and wipe off any residual sawdust and fingerprints.

I'd probably give a hard thought about using this as a long-term-storage rust preventative, but it has worked well for avoiding tarnish on my tools in the shop.
(although I'm in a relatively mild climate)

I don't recall where I bought it -- probably one of the local woodworking stores.
Says "made in Japan"

But... think how could "Clove Oil" must be!
https://www.japanwoodworker.com/products...protection

Matt
(01-02-2018, 04:48 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: [ -> ]Today it's 4 degrees fahrenheit and USPS left the box containing my Camellia oil (from Amazon) on the porch.

To my surprise, the oil seemed unaffected by the low temperature.  It sloshed around inside the bottle like water.

A bit of Googling found Highland Woodworking and Rob Cosman both sell the exact same brand of "Camellia oil" but they advertise it more honestly.  They say it's a blend of liquid paraffin and camellia oil.  It doesn't give what percent of each - can any Woodnetter translate the writing on the bottle?   Would 100% Camellia have advantages?

This is the stuff I bought (but not the supplier I bought it from):

[Image: 25588383418_4a1dbffd96_b.jpg]
Any light oil will do what Camelia oil claims to do..In fact, full synthetic engine oil will do it even better..For long term storage, I use RIG...it's like a light grease made specifically for firearms...A light application of petroleum jelly will work also.
Lets see; I've got 3-1 oil, Ballistol and jojoba oil. I've got WD-40, Liquid Wrench and spray lithium grease. I 'm not sure exactly what the heavy grease in the grease gun is other than a petroleum product. Uhoh I've also got blocks of canning wax (paraffin) that I use on the bottoms of planes when in use.

I like the jojoba oil because its odorless and has a waxy feel to it. Its what I wipe down hand tools with after use. Below about 40 degrees it starts to solidify which is interesting.

Oh, I also have a quart can of slip-it. I use that on bench screws, lag bolts, ect.
(01-03-2018, 11:30 AM)Rick Barton Wrote: [ -> ]Lets see; I've got 3-1 oil, Ballistol and jojoba oil. I've got WD-40, Liquid Wrench and spray lithium grease. I 'm not sure exactly what the heavy grease in the grease gun is other than a petroleum product. Uhoh I've also got blocks of canning wax (paraffin) that I use on the bottoms of planes when in use.

I like the jojoba oil because its odorless and has a waxy feel to it. Its what I wipe down hand tools with after use. Below about 40 degrees it starts to solidify which is interesting.

Oh, I also have a quart can of slip-it. I use that on bench screws, lag bolts, ect.

I have Slip-it also...and it is excellent for long term storage protection as well..
(01-03-2018, 11:33 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: [ -> ].....
I have Slip-it also...and it is excellent for long term storage protection as well..

Makes sense. The can I have is 10 or so years old and the product inside hasn't changed in any perceivable way.

If I'm driving a lag bolt or screw into anything harder than white pine and I'm the least concerned with the fastener twisting off I use slip-it on it. I think it works better than wax. It works great on vise screws too I've discovered, less friction than grease.
Pages: 1 2