Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Sanding/dust control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My traditional method of dust collection was to do my sanding outside.  But I now live in a cold Northern City, it was much easier in San Diego.  I now have to figure out how to sand safely indoors.  I made the mistake of doing the first pass with 80 grit on a 6” ROS on a large group of drawer face fronts without anything attached to the sander.  The next day I noticed a large layer of dust on the area of the shop where the exhaust was pointed, surprise, surprise.  The next day I plugged my large older Rigid Shop Vac.  It made a huge difference in the quality of air when done sanding.

The one problem I have with my big/old shop vac is it is too big (no where to store it) and the hose is too stiff, making it awkward to use the sander.  I would like to replace this vacuum with a tool-box vacuum.  I just picked up a Rigid 5 HP lunchbox vacuum WD4522.  I will soon have a full shop dust collection system with a .5 micron Wynn filter.  Can I safely sand in my own shop using either the shop dust collection system, or my lunchbox vacuum.

The toolbox vac is still in the box and can be returned.  Should I consider a better shop vac (Fein or Festool) for a better dust control system?
A downdraft table is the standard.  They are pretty expensive, but you can make one yourself.

Here's a video on a simple one:  https://www.google.com/search?q=downdraf...#kpvalbx=1
(01-29-2018, 08:19 AM)Cooler Wrote: [ -> ]A downdraft table is the standard.  They are pretty expensive, but you can make one yourself.

Here's a video on a simple one:  https://www.google.com/search?q=downdraf...#kpvalbx=1

Thanks, got one its been on the shelf in the box for a long time.  I just put it together last week and will be using it when the dust collection gets up and running.
If you don't want to build a downdraft table, you can capture a lot of fine particulate matter with your cyclone. I use a large-mouthed duct clamped to my workbench just where I'm sanding. The cyclone moves a lot of air and will capture most of the fine sanding dust as long as you keep it near where you are sanding.

[Image: 39071471215_9e55d6779a_c.jpg]IMG_1292 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

The photo shows plane shavings, but I had been sanding drawer fronts just prior to the photo.
(01-29-2018, 11:57 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't want to build a downdraft table, you can capture a lot of fine particulate matter with your cyclone. I use a large-mouthed duct clamped to my workbench just where I'm sanding. The cyclone moves a lot of air and will capture most of the fine sanding dust as long as you keep it near where you are sanding.

The photo shows plane shavings, but I had been sanding drawer fronts just prior to the photo.

That's a similar principle to how I collect dust at my lathe when using the sanding disc - just an open 6" duct, located near the bottom of the disc, mostly under the sanding disc table.  It might work better with a hood of sorts, but it moves so much air, and the dust coming off the disc is coming off under the table, that it seems to get it all.
(01-29-2018, 11:57 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't want to build a downdraft table, you can capture a lot of fine particulate matter with your cyclone. I use a large-mouthed duct clamped to my workbench just where I'm sanding. The cyclone moves a lot of air and will capture most of the fine sanding dust as long as you keep it near where you are sanding.

I had a box, I bought a few years ago sitting on the shelf that had a nice sized downdraft box, that i finally put together, so when my dust collection is up and running I will use it.  Once i figure out how to get my ducting run to the individual locations, I will do something like this for the drill press and bandsaw.  I also need to figure out how to get a hood for the miter station.

I was really seeing if someone was going to recommend me upgrading my shop vac to a more expensive one.  What I am hoping to set up is a downdraft or scoop with a vacuum connected directly to the tool.
I have a Fein II vac hooked to my 6" festool and bosch sander. That's all it's used for, is those 2 sanders. I have a sears auto start switch on it. I wouldn't sand inside without it.
i recently built a dowdraft table very similar to the one in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9USUzLaMrI

i built mine 32" wide and 48" long and right into the top of one of my benches.
main difference is i didnt route out the middle section. i just used some 1 1/4" wide 3/4" thick rips of pine.
also, instead of having the runs/veins run at a 90 degree to the edges of the table, i positioned them to be 45 degrees  towards the center port. unfortunatly i didnt take pics to show what im explaining.
anyhooo, hooked up to a 1200 cfm DC, this thing ROCKS!
(01-29-2018, 01:15 PM)photobug Wrote: [ -> ]I had a box, I bought a few years ago sitting on the shelf that had a nice sized downdraft box, that i finally put together, so when my dust collection is up and running I will use it.  Once i figure out how to get my ducting run to the individual locations, I will do something like this for the drill press and bandsaw.  I also need to figure out how to get a hood for the miter station.

I was really seeing if someone was going to recommend me upgrading my shop vac to a more expensive one.  What I am hoping to set up is a downdraft or scoop with a vacuum connected directly to the tool.

Shop vacs are too noisy, have a lot of suction but move a smaller volume of air than does a dust collector.  I would suggest you keep the shop vac for vacuuming and use a dust collector for dust management.

I got my dust collector from Grizzly and it does a good job.  I forget what I spent, but my oil burner service man said I needed dust collection if I wanted my oil burner to run well--so it was mandatory.

The cheapo unit from Harbor Freight is just $145.00 and it is probably quieter and more efficient than any shop vac.  You can easily spend more on a shop vac than $145.00.  The HF store is just 4 miles from my house so I rarely order on line.

Mostly, my shop vacs (I have two) are too noisy.  Way too noisy.  If there was one thing I would want is a remote switch for my dust collector.  It is a nuisance to have to turn it on manually before using my table saw.
(01-29-2018, 03:39 PM)Cooler Wrote: [ -> ]Shop vacs are too noisy, have a lot of suction but move a smaller volume of air than does a dust collector.  I would suggest you keep the shop vac for vacuuming and use a dust collector for dust management.

The volume of the shop back is irrelevant as I will be running a dust collector at the same time, so will be wearing ear protection.  The only time I do not wear ear protection is when I make a quick cut on the chopsaw, and regret it.  My previous job was in a loud environment and I have always been protective with my hearing.  Now more so that my vision is becoming less than perfect.

Do those who use a downdraft table or scoop for dust collection, not also use a hose attached to the back of the sanding device also?  

The one time I attached my current vacuum to my 6" ryobi without anything else to collect dust, it was night and day in terms of shop cleanliness.  It seems to me even with a downdraft table my ROS would spit dust out it's exhaust further than the downdraft would catch.  I feel attaching a hose to the back of the ROS would be easier if it was connected to a vacuum as opposed to piping from the dust collector.

As of now I am on the fence between keeping my new Ridgid because it gets good reviews and it is super compact, I like the footprint and portability.

Then I consider the Fein.  By the time I factor in the accessory kit for the Ridgid I am only $100 more for the Fein.
Pages: 1 2 3