Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Hybrid Bed Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I Had been pondering this idea over in my head for better than a decade now so it was time to move on it.  I was sick of beds that always moved when you moved.  Cheap beds joints always seemed to loosen up.  My brother bought a $2000 dollar Ashley bed and he said it started acting up after less than a year.  Basically, it started racking at the stretcher to leg connections as beds nearly always do (as well as workbenches). 

I have always been a metalworker first and when structural problems arise, I generally use steel to solve them first.  I figured a steel bed would never move.  However, steel is not the most aesthetically pleasing material.  Especially for indoor furniture.  I figured some wood accents would have to be used to overcome this deficiency of steel.  In my head I pictured black painted steel with walnut insets between the framework.  Well, down here, walnut is expensive so I was delighted when Hurricane Irma brought a cherry tree down in a friend’s yard.

[Image: aurPSKJ.jpg]

[Image: UnAcfQ7.jpg]

[Image: B8zbKRk.jpg]

[Image: DMa7q4C.jpg]

After the wood dried to my liking it happened to be around Christmas and I was itching for a new bed.  I had told LOML that the cherry would be used for kitchen cabinets in the next few years when we redo the kitchen.  I told her about my plans for the cherry and she agreed to use it for the bed.  I even convinced her that this steel bed I was going to make would be a fine piece of furniture and she skeptically trusted me on that.

So I welded up a steel queen size bed frame.

[Image: OFqxwx1.jpg]

Here you see the cross braces I made to accept drawer slides.

[Image: mPffx2F.jpg]

[Image: ikxPU7A.jpg]

I painted it a hammered copper color of RustOleum spray paint sold at the BORG.  Started fitting drawers that I had built out of ¾ ply.  The best ply I could find at the BORG so it was mediocre.  I ended up using a false front drawer design. 

[Image: RG5sxTI.jpg]

[Image: ZbW381F.jpg]

Finishing the drawer faces and inset panels.

[Image: IjzQiKj.jpg]

Here with the panels and drawer faces installed and starting on the headboard.

[Image: mtckWTj.jpg]

Building the headboard.

[Image: AhN1ytG.jpg]
Some detail shots.  That zinc hardware has since been changed to black.

[Image: V35tHMi.jpg]

[Image: wv1YrxZ.jpg]

[Image: 8xNQoWx.jpg]

Here installed in its place.  Still needs drawer pulls.

[Image: fB4rKbG.jpg]
Nice job,very well done.

Mel
Very attractive and I'll bet you don't have to worry about joint failures.
When I say the comments about using a metal frame, my thought was yah right.  I was wrong, it looks great and I'm assuming very solid.
Well done.
I am a big fan of metal and wood furniture.  You did a fine job.
Wow, not at all what I was expecting.  Very nice.
Love it !
Way cool  Cool
Very nice!
The tree you scored yielded some nice wood.
Pages: 1 2