Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Barn wood picture frames
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quick back story....

The barn in the pictures was on a farm in Bartholomew County Indiana.  My wife's boss owns the property now where the barn once stood and unfortunately it had to be taken down.

They salvaged all the materials they could off the barn and had the forethought of taking pictures of it before it was taken down.  These particular prints were put on canvas.

What better material to use for frames than the barn wood itself.  All the siding was ship lapped 6" wide pine.  I used the bead detail that was in the middle of each board for the inside edge of the frames.  I think each frame was arouind 2 3/4" wide.

4mm dominos and pocket screws hold the miters together.

Since the prints were on canvas, the frames had to be built up so they were 1 1/2" thick.  

I did go back and roll the miters along the edges with my burnisher and it gave it a seamless look.

The large one is 24" x 36" and smaller is 20" x 30"

Pretty cool that the barn stood there for who knows how many years and parts of it get to keep living on....

[attachment=7931]

[attachment=7932]

[attachment=7933]

[attachment=7934]

[attachment=7935]

[attachment=7936]
That's awesome.

As a photographer and woodworker I love this kind of stuff.  The relationship of the picture and the frame is a thing of poetry.
Nicely done  Yes
I really like what you have done there.

I wish my barn was in that good of shape.
We really tried but alas, ours will have to come down as well  Sad
(02-05-2018, 03:50 PM)photobug Wrote: [ -> ]That's awesome.

As a photographer and a (beginner) woodworker I love this kind of stuff.  The relationship of the picture and the frame is a thing of poetry.

My thoughts exactly but I changed your reply to suit me better.  Excellent work on the frames.
Those frames sure do the old barn justice.Beautiful work.

Mel
How did you do the frames?  The V-notch adds a nice touch but when I have played with barnwood in the past, I had trouble with milling it changing it's look and had to re-age or hide the milled parts.
Very  Cool
(02-05-2018, 07:50 PM)photobug Wrote: [ -> ]How did you do the frames?  The V-notch adds a nice touch but when I have played with barnwood in the past, I had trouble with milling it changing it's look and had to re-age or hide the milled parts.

The boards I received were 6" wide shiplap.  The bead (or V notch) was already in the middle of each board.

I simply ripped a tongue off one edge and then ripped along side the bead detail giving me approximately a 2 3/4" finished frame

So the only "unfinished" edge that is exposed is where I ripped along the bead.  It's very minor and you don't even really notice it.
Beautiful work for sure!!
I really like those frames nicely done
is that a Bullet hole at the bottom?
i like the way it is placed buy the drive way culvert
Pages: 1 2