Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Outdoor furniture prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't make much outside furniture (read that as zero), I'm going to make a few Adirondack cedar chairs (using the Popular Mechanics plans).

My question, when I sand them before assembly, what grit should I go down to?  120(ish)?

Thanks in advance.. Dave
On my adirondacks, I go to 180 or 220. I also finish with clear paint (untainted base coat). They’ve held up really well.

Good luck - it’s a great project.

John
(02-28-2018, 10:21 PM)jcredding Wrote: [ -> ]On my adirondacks, I go to 180 or 220.  I also finish with clear paint (untainted base coat).  They’ve held up really well.

Good luck - it’s a great project.

John

How long have you had these chairs out in the weather? How severe is the exposure? I for one would appreciate you reporting back from time to time to let us know how well the clear paint is holding up.
(02-28-2018, 10:47 PM)Willyou Wrote: [ -> ]How long have you had these chairs out in the weather? How severe is the exposure? I for one would appreciate you reporting back from time to time to let us know how well the clear paint is holding up.

I built a double adirondack and finished it with General Finishes outdoor water based finish based on suggestions from here.  In a partial shade of Southern California sun, 3 coats sanding between, the chair looked awesome, for the first 3 months then went downhill.  It looked 5 years old after the first year.  I like General Finishes but would never use it for outdoor furniture ever again.
Someone here (I think it was Mac, K. L McReynolds) painted a walnut cross that was placed outside with SW A100 exterior untinted paint. So far (as of last report) it has held up beautifully. This instance was of more than normal interest to me since it was walnut.
I use oil based deck stain on mine. I also use northern white cedar.

If I were you w would make hardboard templates of the chair plan- you will thank me later
(03-01-2018, 06:37 AM)fredhargis Wrote: [ -> ]Someone here (I think it was Mac, K. L McReynolds) painted a walnut cross that was placed outside with SW A100 exterior untinted paint. 

This is what I went with.  At the time I would visited the local Sherwin Williams (SW A100) they were unable/unwilling to recommend it as it was outside the norm.  I now have an account with SW where I live now and know all the employees.  When I redo the chair this summer, I will try the untinted SW A100.

The other suggestion would be a penetrating stain.  Something that could be recoated every summer or so without having to sand down as I will have to do.  I also made templates and will be using it to make a Tete-aTete later.
I've made 12 of them so far. I make mine out of 2 x 6's, give it a diluted coat of wiped on Latex paint for a light color, then at least 3-4 coats water based poly satin finish.

This one is the test chair. I believe it's been outside in the weather for about 4 years now. Rain, sun, shade, sleet and snow. Surface still looks just fine and the chair is still tight. I install 1/4" to 3/8" rubber on the bottom of the legs to keep the wood off a soaked ground.

[Image: eKIyqtP.jpg]

I have since changed and improved the designs and make the more elaborate ones- stronger and more durable. This one is being stored in the shed for the BIL for his retirement gift.  
[Image: UIOr25a.jpg]

You can see the somewhat transparent rubbed on latex paint and clear coating.

[Image: 3snZtAg.jpg]

The pics aren't very proportional. The second pic looks stubby for some reason I got the ratio wrong.
"Elaborate" is a big understatement for that design, I really like it.
(03-01-2018, 08:02 PM)daddo Wrote: [ -> ]I've made 12 of them so far. I make mine out of 2 x 6's, give it a diluted coat of wiped on Latex paint for a light color, then at least 3-4 coats water based poly satin finish. 
[Image: UIOr25a.jpg]

You can see the somewhat transparent rubbed on latex paint and clear coating.

[Image: 3snZtAg.jpg]

The pics aren't very proportional. The second pic looks stubby for some reason I got the ratio wrong.

I really like the look of those chairs both in the stubby look and the details, nicely done.  I think if it is easy to get out of an Adirondack Chair gracefully, it's been designed wrong.

Do you use a bandsaw to create the scallops on the posts and arm rests.
Pages: 1 2