Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Jig Saw puzzles, mulit level
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a multi-layer landscape wooden jig saw puzzle.  It is made of different types (colors) of wood.  It's a mountain, moon, hill scene.  It is about four levels.  Very nicely done.  It's not as easy as it sounds.  Machining wood to 1/8", beveling the edges, scroll sawing.  It's is a little like intarsia, but multi level.  The one I have, each layer is the same type of wood, except for the bottom one with the moon.  That layer has two types of wood.

I'd like to try to make some.  Does any one know where I can learn how to make them?  A book or web site.

Thanks,

RP
(02-27-2018, 09:46 PM)RPE1 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a multi-layer landscape wooden jig saw puzzle.  It is made of different types (colors) of wood.  It's a mountain, moon, hill scene.  It is about four levels.  Very nicely done.  It's not as easy as it sounds.  Machining wood to 1/8", beveling the edges, scroll sawing.  It's is a little like intarsia, but multi level.  The one I have, each layer is the same type of wood, except for the bottom one with the moon.  That layer has two types of wood.

I'd like to try to make some.  Does any one know where I can learn how to make them?  A book or web site.

Thanks,

RP

The artist is Greg Frye-Weaver if any one is familiar with his work.  That is what I'd like to do.
Thanks
RP
Based on the few images I could find there are two separate skill sets to learn.

1. All the actual cutting is standard scroll saw work where you're cutting a stacked packet of woods. After cutting you mix and match pieces for artistic effect. So if you stack six layers of wood, you're cutting six final pieces at once. The marquetry-name for this technique is Boule I think.

2. The second skill set is simplifying the complex scene you want to recreate into a smallish number of pieces. This is quite doable with tracing paper and lots of practice.