Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Looking for plans for two-drawer file cabinet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm building a two-drawer wood file cabinet.  Does anyone know where I could find some basic plans?  They don't need to be very detailed; just looking for dimensions and general construction methods that have worked.  I'm planning to make the main box out of 1/2" solid oak, not plywood.

I did a quick search and didn't find anything already posted. Brand new to forum, first post here, so please go easy on me if I broke any rules.  

Thanks
I think Woodsmith had an issue where they made a file cabinet. I don't recall which one though.
(03-21-2018, 05:10 AM)lupacexi2 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm building a two-drawer wood file cabinet.  Does anyone know where I could find some basic plans?  They don't need to be very detailed; just looking for dimensions and general construction methods that have worked.  I'm planning to make the main box out of 1/2" solid oak, not plywood.

I did a quick search and didn't find anything already posted. Brand new to forum, first post here, so please go easy on me if I broke any rules.  

Well, there are likely plans online from a number of sources, but I subscribe to Woodsmith and also have their 11-season video set, so the episode should be present in one of those seasons.  The Woodsmith plans for a 'modular' file cabinet set can be purchased HERE for $10 - the video is likely also available - good luck!  Dave Smile
(03-21-2018, 05:10 AM)lupacexi2 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm building a two-drawer wood file cabinet.  Does anyone know where I could find some basic plans?  They don't need to be very detailed; just looking for dimensions and general construction methods that have worked.  I'm planning to make the main box out of 1/2" solid oak, not plywood.

Thanks

TOMMY MACK BUILT A CABINET USING PARTS FROM A METAL CABINET. YOU COULD BUILD THE CABINET TO FIT THE STRUCTURE AND REPLACE THE DRAWER HARDWARE WITH WOOD.
Here's what the online Woodsmith index showed:

file cabinets
  • decorative, 179:20

• frame and panel, 74:6

• modular, 144:6

• three-drawer, legal-sized, 29:10

• with under-lid storage, 7:8
Probably more recent ones, too.  

John
When this question was asked last month there were some suggestions. 

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...pid7592516
(03-21-2018, 06:15 PM)Lynden Wrote: [ -> ]When this question was asked last month there were some suggestions. 

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...pid7592516

Yep, and apparently the spam filter is improving and killing the reply with the link to the 10,001+odd plans.  Time to thank the forum hosts for the improvement.