Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Fix a nearly perfect miter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm using an Incra 1000SE. Upon clamping, *one* 90* miter doesn't close all the way. The others do.

Before I attack this and mess it up, can you guys advise me on what to do? Yes, I know the miter gauge is off, but I don't know which way to go.
How are the other 3 corners?
They all close up perfectly. This one doesn't.
Are the opposite pairs each exactly the same length as their mate?
Could this have been blade flex rather than the wrong angle?
Did the wood move?
I’m hard pressed to see 3 perfect miters using the same setup and the opposite pairs being exactly equal in length.
(03-26-2018, 07:54 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: [ -> ]They all close up perfectly.  This one doesn't.

Actually they are all imperfect and the result shows at the final joint.

A Lion Miter Trimmer will address this.  There are lots of knockoffs lately (so many that LION went out of business).
http://www.rockler.com/miter-trimmer?sid...gKvIPD_BwE

But a more precise adjustment of the miter gage will also address this.  A sled works better however.
I'd say your angles are not exactly 45°, they are just a little less, and the other corners aren't really 90°.  This is where a shooting board is your best friend.

John
(03-27-2018, 07:25 AM)jteneyck Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say your angles are not exactly 45°, they are just a little less, and the other corners aren't really 90°.  This is where a shooting board is your best friend.

John

In the picture framing industry a LION miter trimmer or a 12" disk sander with an angle attachment was frequently used.

[Image: BoltedDown.jpg]

There are motorized versions too, but for miter trimming a few turns by hand will do the trick.  The key is the holder that clamps the molding in place.

https://framingsupplies-shop.com/ppfe/tw...isc-sander
I fudged on this one to get it done; I'm more in the "setting up" phase of my woodshop, but my anniversary is today so I needed to get this thing done.

A shooting board is in my future, once I have a hand tool table.

I need to build a miter sled, too.
Use a Japanese dozuki saw (thin blade dovetail saw) to saw through the mitred kerf. The mitre will then close up perfectly.

Regards from Perth

Derek
(03-27-2018, 10:15 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: [ -> ]Use a Japanese dozuki saw (thin blade dovetail saw) to saw through the mitred kerf. The mitre will then close up perfectly.

Regards from Perth

Derek
^^^ this is the immediate solution^^^

Adjusting your miter gauge or building a framing sled is the long term solution as you state.
Pages: 1 2