Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Bar Clamps - Wide Throat - Options?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Now, I own a LOT of clamps (many are Bessy) but recently have done several projects where several 'Wide Throat' (or 'Deep Reach') clamps would have been useful but had none!  So, looked at Bessy on Amazon (first pic below) - WOW - $42 per clamp (and I usually like to have 4 just in case) - not willing to invest $160 for a 'deep reach' clamp that would likely be used rarely?  Also, have the Woodsmith plan (2nd pic) to build the wooden/bolt clamps shown - cheaper way out and look effective but do I want to put in the effort?

So, would appreciate any comments about the need to 'deep reach' clamps, e.g. often, rarely, or in the middle?  And, are there less expensive commercial options - really like the Bessy ones I own but could use the $$ elsewhere -  Yes    Thanks - Dave
I have two of those Bessey clamps.  Don't use them a lot, but when needed, so nice to have for that extra reach.

I'm not sure what you needs are, but have you thought about clamping cauls?  I bought one of each length from Lee Valley then made copies from 1/4 sawn maple 

Otherwise, spend the money on the Besseys.  It's like buying Festool.  It stings for a bit, but then you're glad you bought them!  Big Grin

[attachment=9506]
(03-27-2018, 11:34 AM)KLaz Wrote: [ -> ]I have two of those Bessey clamps.  Don't use them a lot, but when needed, so nice to have for that extra reach.

I'm not sure what you needs are, but have you thought about clamping cauls?  I bought one of each length from Lee Valley then made copies from 1/4 sawn maple 

Otherwise, spend the money on the Besseys.  It's like buying Festool.  It stings for a bit, but then you're glad you bought them!  Big Grin

Thanks KLaz - as already stated, I own plenty of Bessy clamps (using a number at the moment for a cabinet glue-up) - also have 2 36" cauls from Lee Valley which work well - might just start w/ a couple of the Bessy 'deep reach' ones?  Dave Smile
I have 4 of the cheap cheap deep throat F-clamps, bought some years back from Grizzly I think.
Seldom use them, but handy when needed.
I bought cheap as I figured not to use them much. Seems they were $8-10 each.
I have 4 of the Bessy deep throat clamps and I use the more than occasionally, but less than often.  They are very handy when needed.  I don't remember what I paid for them, but it was much less than $42/per.  I would not pay that either.

There is always this redneck solution.

[Image: FH12JUN_CLAMPN_11.JPG]
Would something like this work for you?

[Image: 86320d2d1d5d88c1a38af9b0a8f07f3c.jpg]
(03-27-2018, 12:46 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: [ -> ]I have 4 of the cheap cheap deep throat F-clamps, bought some years back from Grizzly I think.
Seldom use them, but handy when needed.
I bought cheap as I figured not to use them much. Seems they were $8-10 each.

(03-27-2018, 03:57 PM)Cecil Wrote: [ -> ]I have 4 of the Bessy deep throat clamps and I use the more than occasionally, but less than often.  They are very handy when needed.  I don't remember what I paid for them, but it was much less than $42/per.  I would not pay that either.

There is always this redneck solution.

[Image: FH12JUN_CLAMPN_11.JPG]

Boy - I've been doing a lot of googling today and could find the 'cheapest' Bessey 7" deep clamps for about $36 (for the shorter ones) - would like the 24" length (just in case), so likely in the $40+ range per clamp - I also don't remember paying that much for my other Bessy clamps but has been a while and may have bought them on sale or a special deal? The longer length is closer to $50 on Amazon - my word - $200 for 4 clamps!

Looked on Lee Valley and found the deep clamps below - brand not mentioned (look like Jorgensen clamps), but $30 each for the 2 ft length - 4 for $120 - would be acceptable - an issue is the throat depth is only 5", so yet another consideration.  Thanks for the comments.  Dave Smile
I don't think I would get the 5'' as I think the first time you needed an extra inch or two you would have buyers remorse. "Go big or go home" Smile
(03-27-2018, 11:08 AM)giradman Wrote: [ -> ]Now, I own a LOT of clamps

What's a LOT? Raised    You got a head count? Winkgrin

Have you considered the Visegrip pliers?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-3-4-L-Deep-Re...SwdnZaBgKA

I have some of these and they are handy.
Bessey is the “Official Clamp Supplier to Woodcademy”, I have at least a couple of each of their clamps.
I have a pair of the ones you show, I also have one with a 2” wide bar and 12” deep jaws.

Have used the ones you are asking about fairly often, the deeper one, not often.

You only cry once buying the best you can afford.
Pages: 1 2 3