Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Wobbly Table - Why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I built a counter height table. Square top. 30 x 30 inches. 38 inches height. I tried to post a pic but no look. 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 legs with aprons attached.
Pretty much top, legs, aprons. That's all.
When I built it, everything piece of wood is flush with its counter part.
Anyway, when I dropped off the table at the buyer's house, the table was wobbly. Owner didn't think the floor was off level.
The legs were cut the same length with a stop block, everything flush. I used pocket hole jounery.
What did I do wrong?

Eddie
How do you know the floor is level? Did you check it? Same problem I had in my place and one little shim you cannot see fixed the problem for me.
The floor is off.

The owner is delusional.
I think the last table she had wasn't wobbly. She said she doesn't care but it just bothers me.
(03-31-2018, 03:42 PM)Busdriver Wrote: [ -> ]I think the last table she had wasn't wobbly. She said she doesn't care but it just bothers me.

Floor can show “level” over it’s surface and still not be actually FLAT.

My shop floor is concrete, should be pretty flat, but there is one spot, of course right where I tend to place my router table for filming, that has a high spot. The four wheels of the table, that sit perfectly fine pretty much anywhere else, simply are not all on the floor in this spot. Rotate the table or move it a bit and no problem. 

The floor is level, but not quite flat there.
Since this causes you concern, the simple answer is: If you have a 48" level, or can borrow one, apply the level to floor. You'll soon find out who or what is "off."
(03-31-2018, 03:56 PM)handi Wrote: [ -> ]My shop floor is concrete, should be pretty flat, but there is one spot..........

Well that won't do. Replace your concrete. Sarcasm
Install leg levelers.
Just because the legs are exactkybth same size doesn’t mean that the table won’t be wobbly if the apron cuts aren’t exactly 90*, the legs can be pulled in one way or another, or the pocket holes twist something out of square just a hair, or this or that.

Check the table on a known flat surface so you know it’s right when I goes to the customer/new owner. I do that check after it’s glued up and trim a leg on the table saw with the blade barely above the table.

Or, as said, the customer’s floor could be off.