Woodnet Forums

Full Version: When you dress your grinding wheel ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you leave it squared off at the edges ... or do you round the corners? (I've heard a rounded profile creates less contact - therefore less heat).

Before I dress my new white wheel, I would like to get some consensus about which is the best way. I would think the flat surface would make it easier to keep a square profile on chisels. But with a sliding tool holder jig, maybe that's irrelevant.

What do the voices of experiences say about that?
(03-31-2018, 11:07 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: [ -> ]Do you leave it squared off at the edges ... or do you round the corners? (I've heard a rounded profile creates less contact - therefore less heat).

Before I dress my new white wheel, I would like to get some consensus about which is the best way. I would think the flat surface would make it easier to keep a square profile on chisels. But with a sliding tool holder jig, maybe that's irrelevant.

I round the corners very slightly.
(03-31-2018, 11:07 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: [ -> ]Do you leave it squared off at the edges ... or do you round the corners? (I've heard a rounded profile creates less contact - therefore less heat).

I have the need to grind small HSS lathe tool bits for my metal lathe, so I need square corners..But other than that, I can't see where it makes much difference, except the wheel will wear faster if you round the edges, because you have reduced the size of the point of contact. As far as increasing the heat, IMO that is insignificant. Proper use of the grinder dictates that you don't let the heat build up to the point of drawing the temper. {it would be hard to do on HSS} I quench the tool so it's never a problem..And I have never experienced "cracking" of the steel as a result of quenching HSS. As a matter of fact, I have increased the hardness of HSS by heating drill bits red hot then quenching it in cold water...I had several large grade 8 bolts that had to be drilled out on a yard crane one time..prior to hardening the bit, it wouldn't touch the steel in the bolts..In addition to hardening the drill bit, I backed off the rake angle a bit for a stronger edge.
I follow Joel's recommendation -

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/898

I wouldn't call it rounding the corners.  It's more like shaping the wheel with a camber like a plane iron.  The curve isn't as severe as in Joel's drawing, just a gentle arc that isn't very obvious unless you put a straight edge up to it.  I haven't had any problem keeping edges square.

Phil
(04-01-2018, 10:37 AM)Phil S. Wrote: [ -> ]I follow Joel's recommendation -

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/898

I wouldn't call it rounding the corners.  It's more like shaping the wheel with a camber like a plane iron.  The curve isn't as severe as in Joel's drawing, just a gentle arc that isn't very obvious unless you put a straight edge up to it.  I haven't had any problem keeping edges square.

Phil

I saw Joel demonstrate grinder use at an open house at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop several years ago, and since then I've been slightly crowning my wheel; a good tip.
What Timberwolf said.

I use the grinder mostly for the HSS lathe bits as I keep the rests set at 6-7 degrees. I use the belt grinder for most other stuff- it's faster and bigger.
I do crown my wheel just a tiny bit. I find it a little easier to get a square edge on my tools when the wheel is crowned for some reason.
(03-31-2018, 11:07 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: [ -> ]I would think the flat surface would make it easier to keep a square profile on chisels.

^  This

I would never crown my wheel for sharpening chisels.  Of course I no longer use a grinder for sharpening chisels.  I now have a worksharp and use that very flat glass wheel.
(04-01-2018, 05:37 PM)Cecil Wrote: [ -> ]^  This

I would never crown my wheel for sharpening chisels.  Of course I no longer use a grinder for sharpening chisels.  I now have a worksharp and use that very flat glass wheel.

Actually, you don't "sharpen" chisels on a grinder; but rather, reset the bevel, then go to the stones.  Now, that being said, I have a Tormek, which is very good for sharpening, but I set bevels on the grinder, then move to the Tormek, saves a lot of time.......
(04-01-2018, 03:21 PM)daddo Wrote: [ -> ]What Timberwolf said.

I use the grinder mostly for the HSS lathe bits as I keep the rests set at 6-7 degrees. I use the belt grinder for most other stuff- it's faster and bigger.
I love my belt grinders !!!!! Winkgrin Winkgrin
Pages: 1 2