Woodnet Forums

Full Version: wall mounted dresser with no legs or base support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The wall where my furniture "wants" to be has a full run of baseboard heat.  So when I had my dresser and chest of drawers against that wall the heat went straight up the wall and the room was cold.  

I want to wall mount furniture just above the  baseboards.  That would force the heat further into the room (and make cleaning the floor a breeze).

I would basically build them like I would build face frame kitchen cabinets.  How should construct the boxes so that they can stand up to the weight of the cabinet and contents without any legs?

A dresser is usually 20" deep.  Less than a base cabinet, but more than an upper.  It will hold clothes only, so no excessive weight.
3/4" thick back tongue and grooved into sides ought to do it.
If you are concerned about a wall mounted dresser, couldn't you just pick out a dresser that is on "feet" ? Tall, skinny feet maybe, but still feet .
The dresser could be a plywood box construction, and hung from a French cleat.
(04-05-2018, 12:02 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: [ -> ]If you are concerned about a wall mounted dresser, couldn't you just pick out a dresser that is on "feet" ?  Tall, skinny feet maybe, but still feet .
I've considered mounting a shelf for the cabinets to rest on.  It would have to be 9" off the ground and I thought that a floating design would look nicer.

This one is really an Ikea closet organizer put to use as a wall mounted chest of drawers:

[Image: 6a1f5b07d8d533263d84e64db698c01c.jpg]
(04-05-2018, 12:18 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: [ -> ]The dresser could be a plywood box construction, and hung from a French cleat.

My normal box is 3/4" ply for the sides and bottom and 1/2" ply for the back.  All are set in grooves (dados), and glued.  I normally attach a nailer in the rear using pocket screws and glue at the top and sides.

I leave exactly 3/4" behind the back dado to allow flush mounting of a French cleat or a nailer.  Is that going to be strong enough?
Build it same construction as your upper cabinets. Then find or make some fancy legs for the front only.
I did a custom walnut dresser like that one time. I'm trying to find the pics....
I did a wall mount entertainment center on French cleat.  Frame and panel Mesquite with 3/4" plywood back.  It is much heavier than our dresser. 

Go for it.
FWIW, I don't think it will make any difference with the heat distribution whether the dresser hangs on the wall or sits away from it.

John
Actually it makes a huge difference. With the furniture against the wall the heat travels straight up to the ceiling. With the 20” overhang it forces the heat into the room and the room feels warmer than with no furniture at all.
Pages: 1 2